Bomb

I took his hand and dragged him from the dance floor into the office, away from the hoards of inquisitive eyes. I was desperate for answers but more desperate to feel his lips on mine again.

"What was that?" I croaked out, adrenaline surging through every bit of my body as I pushed him up against the closed door.

"I'm sorry. I couldn't help myself. You're you and your dress, your eyes...the yoga studio this morning--"

Something came over me, like a tidal wave of realization of something that had been there all along. I am crazy about this man and always have been. There was just never an opportunity for either of us to go down that road. He was married, I was unavailable. Simple.

Now things were far from simple. We'd blown past simple, way into "complicated and public affairs of the heart" territory. I realized all of this of course but it didn't stop me from making out with him like my life depended on it. I should have maybe listened to my inner voice of reason, but she's uptight and I wasn't anywhere close to being reasonable. Breathlessly, I pulled away from him and our eyes met, inches away from eachother.

"What--" he paused and cleared his throat. "What am I supposed to do now?"

"You? What about me? You do realize how very 'Pepper and Tony' that was out there...right? That looks really bad for me."

"I don't give a shit about that. What are we supposed to do?" He gesticulated in the air between us. "What happens now?"

"We are going out there, enjoying your party and then we can talk about all of this when we get back to LA. There are appearances to be made. Deal?"

"So does this mean I get to kiss you whenever I want to?" he asked, an impish smile creeping across his face.

"Uhh, if there's no cameras around. We need to be careful--"

"I choose now," he said and just like that, he spun me around and pinned me to the door. His lips met mine and he sent me into orbit, to circle the planet and never come back down. Ever. A sharp rapping on the door startled us both back to reality and Emma's voice came through.

"Um...guys? People are starting to chatter. You'd better get out here."

"Yes, Emma. We will. I'm just discussing the auction details with Miss Parker--"

"Quit bullshitting me, Downey."

We both burst into laughter and he left one soft kiss on the corner of my mouth.

"That, Miss Parker, is something I've been wanting to do for a very long time." He extended a bent elbow for me to take and we walked out of the office together. Still the same, yet completely different.

"Jen!" Emma hissed as she grabbed me and pulled me into the ladies room.

"What?"

"Get yourself together," she smoothed a few of my hairs that had gotten misplaced and then handed me a tube of lipstick. "Yours is gone. Better reapply," she said with a knowing smirk.

"Emma, what am I going to--"

"Shhh. Just go have a good time, or try to anyway."

"What do you mean?"

"Hate to tell you, but Tom and Stephanie just showed up."

"When?"

"A little bit ago. About the time you were sucking face with your boss."

"Shit."

"Ah, who cares. Downey is a way better fit for you anyway. And honestly, you don't owe Tom any courtesies."