Patience

"Hey Mom," he called out before jaunting over to where I stood. The grin on his face was devious, just like his father.

"Please do not ever call me that again, Indio. I'm so creeped out right now."

He threw his head back in a fit of maniacal laughter.

"We're not technically getting married anyway," I added as I scratched the top of Steve's head. I woke up early that morning and spent some quiet time in the pasture with my favorite alpaca, hoping for some peace and quiet before all of the chaos descended upon us. Indio's arrival was a signal to me that my quiet time was over.

"You might as well be," absentmindedly he gave Steve some scratching too as we stood there conversing about what the day had in store. "Is Emma coming?"

"Of course she is," I replied dryly. Indio had made it very clear that he was keen on Emma from the second they met. If they were going to hook up, I wasn't going to be the instigator...no way in hell. I told him that he was on his own where Emma was concerned.

"Anyway, my Dad sent me looking for you. He said Davy is here to do your hair," he said as he turned and started walking back toward the house. I fell into step with him and we walked together in comfortable silence for a bit until I had to speak up.

"Is this okay?" I blurted out the words, not fully knowing what kind of answer I was looking for.

"This?" he squinted at me and scrunched up his nose. It made him look like Robert. "Like, the fact that my Dad is his best when he's with you? Or how much his two little monsters love you?"

"Three. He has three little monsters," I retorted and jabbed him with my elbow.

"Whatever, Marge. How about the fact that Susan is one-hundred percent on-board with your relationship...is that proof enough that it is okay?"

He was right. Everything had worked out just as I wished it would when I took that leap with Robert. He and I had fallen into a strong and passionate bond; he trusted me and I trusted him. When I promised to stay committed, I meant it, whether we were legally married or not. He supported my wishes completely and we chose to be "happily unmarried" or "partners" if that's what you like to call it. We'd promise to stay that way forever too.

A massive, white tent had been set up on the lawn, complete with security detail and valet drivers. The entire property was surrounded by paparazzi and truthfully, I was surprised there weren't any helicopters yet. Just as Indio and I nearly reached the house, my mother came running out, wildly waving her cell phone in the air above her head.

"Jennifer! Oh my god, Jennifer! The phone--It's the cleaners--your dress!" she spluttered her words out between panicked gasps for air. I took her phone from her and put it to my ear, prepared for the worst.

"Hello?"

"Hello, Miss Parker...um...there's been a...ah...you see, the driver was en route to your location and got into quite an accident."

"Oh my god!"

"Ma'am, my sincerest apolog--"

"Is your driver okay?"

"Um, I beg your pardon? I don't know about the driver at the moment, Miss Parker. In the matter of your dress..."

My dress. The most impressive garment I've ever owned. The dress that I had made in New York City and carried back by airplane to Los Angeles in my lap. It was a deep, blush-colored gown, almost burgundy. It was hand made with layers upon layers of chiffon and glittering beads, all silver, bronze and espresso in color. It had fine straps and a fitted bodice. It was an unexpected choice for me and completely perfect.