Part 5

Alexander Tate stood in his son's room, staring out of the window. The sun would be setting soon, marking yet another day that he had been without his mate. Looking down at his sleeping son, Alexander felt his heart squeeze.

He had been raising his son by his-self since his wife had died during childbirth. And for every day of those six years, Alexander had spent just as much time searching for his mate. But she had disappeared. The only thing that kept him sane was the knowledge that she was still alive, somewhere.

A flash of color captured Alexander's attention and he watched as three people slowly emerged from the forest. He knew two of them at first glance; his head warrior and his son. The woman, however, he couldn't see her face so he had no way of knowing if he knew her or not. A slight breeze ruffled through her hair and Alexander felt his heart squeezing for another reason.

His mate, Kathleen, had the same color hair. His thoughts drifted back to the first and last night that he had seen her. The tears that flowed from her beautiful eyes were his fault. The pain that he had caused her by marking another was his fault. But then he found out that her mother had made her stay home, she had stolen the life that was destined for them.

Before he could charge her with treason, she disappeared. And so far, none of those working for him had found any sign of the woman. Once he found her and she had been tried for treason, her punishment would not be for the faint of heart he swore. But as he once again looked at his sleeping son, most of his ire faded. If Kathleen had come to the ball on her sixteenth birthday, he wouldn't have the light of his life. Maybe they would have had children, maybe not. Alexander loved his little boy, and he would do anything to make his child happy.

A deep sigh left Alexander as his eyes once again took in the three figures. He recognized the two men as Eric Carter and his son. Alexander chuckled softly when he remembered how excited Eric had acted when he found out that his Alpha was planning a trip to the States. The man wouldn't stop begging to come along, citing the excuse of seeing his son after so many years apart.

Now, as he watched his head warrior embrace the unknown woman, he knew the excuse to be a pretense. Shaking his head, Alexander silently left his son's room and made his way to his. They would be leaving in the morning, returning to England. Hopefully, his trackers would have a new lead on Kathleen. He knew that somewhere out there his mate was living, unclaimed; he would find her if it was the last thing he did.

Morning came sooner than Alexander wanted but still he rose and got dressed for the day. His things were packed and their suitcases stowed away in the back of the rented Range Rover. Leading his son, Jackson, down to the dining hall for breakfast, Alexander felt his wolf become anxious. His wolf wanted to stay just a while longer, as if he could sense that something was about to happen; something that could change his life again.

Burying the uneasiness that he felt, Alexander began to slowly eat his breakfast, making sure that Jackson was eating as well. Neither father nor son spoke as they ate and listened to the conversations flowing around them. Just as he was taking his last bite, Alexander felt as if someone was watching him. Slowly, he finished eating and reached for his cup of coffee, letting his eyes take in those around him. Just as he started to lower his cup, his eyes lock with a set of a pair of piercing silver-blue eyes that were oddly similar to his head warrior's.

Alexander felt his body become stiff as his wolf began to howl in joy. "Mate," Alexander barely whispered as if he was afraid that Kathleen would just disappear right before his eyes. Closing his eyes tightly, he counted a full minute before looking back in the door. His heart began to pound hard within his chest when he saw that she was still standing there, looking back at him. She was really, not a dream.

Emotions swirled around in her eyes like storms as a small smile began to blossom on her lips. Alexander felt as if his heart exploded from the pure joy that filled him upon seeing that smile. But just as it appeared, it left her face when Jackson spoke up. "Daddy, when are we going home?"

Fear took over his mind as he watched a blank mask slide quickly over Kathleen's face, hiding everything from him. Very slowly, Alexander dropped his gaze to his son. "We're heading home soon Jackson." His son beamed up at him, happy with the news. Jackson hated being away from his home, especially in places that he didn't know. But he knew that as long as his father was beside him, nothing could happen. So, the little six year old boy just finished his breakfast, his mind in his own little world. Alexander's eyes snapped back up to the door, but she wasn't there any longer. He had to find her before he lost her again; he and his wolf wouldn't be able to withstand losing their mate for a second time in their life.