Part 9

Papa glanced from Alexander back to me as the puzzled look on his face is replaced by understanding. "He's your mate," Papa said as he walked towards us. I nod my head, not knowing what to say.

He nodded his head slowly as a worried look settled in his eyes. "Alexander, I know why you marked Elizabeth, but James doesn't. And when he finds out," a humorless chuckle came from him, "when my son finds out that you are Kathy's mate, you best prepare yourself for a fight." My mate opened his mouth to speak, but Papa's lifted hand stopped him.

At this moment, they weren't head warrior and king; they were a concerned father and his daughter's mate. "James has only known Kathleen for a few short months, be the bond between them are as strong as any I've ever seen between brother and sister, Alexander. All he knows is that her mate chose and marked another woman over his sister, who he absolutely adores. His wolf will demand that he fights you for the wrong that you've done towards Kathleen."

Understanding hit Alexander as he sighed. "I waited ten years for her to show Eric, ten years. I finally decided that she must have been dead, so I chose a queen that would help me rule the kingdom in a way that I knew my mate would have been able to do as well." Suddenly, Alexander straightened, his eyes getting a glazed look to them.

"Why didn't you tell me what your mate was Alexander?" Papa asked me softly. "I knew how much you thought of him Papa, as a man and as our king. What happened between us wasn't his fault at all, and I didn't want you or James to blame him for that. Mother kept me from the ball because she was ashamed of me, thus keeping me from finding my mate." Sighing softly, I take a step back from my mate.

"On top of that Papa, I didn't want either of you to question him as our king. Alexander is one of the greatest king's our kind has had in a very long time. I think that he made the best choice he had based on the situation he was in at the time." Papa chuckled as he smiled at me. "I do believe that you will make us a fine queen Kathleen, I do indeed." My face heated as I glanced down.

Though I knew that Alexander was the king, thus making me the future queen, but it amazed me how often I tended to forget that. "Papa, I don't know how to be a queen! I could care less about politics and balls. I'd rather see that time and effort into making things better for the packs. I've seen so many during my six years that had so little of what they really needed."

A proud look flashed through my father's eyes. "That right there Kathleen, that is why you will be a great queen. You're like Alexander; you truly care about your people." The feeling of a hand on my shoulder had me looking over my shoulder into my mate's eyes. They were so filled with love and respect that I had trouble breathing.

"Eric, if you will excuse Kathleen and me, we have an announcement to make to the council and to the shifters here tonight." Papa nodded as he stepped aside. Alexander began to lead me towards the door. "What do we have to announce?" I asked softly as we turned and started walking. I looked around, recognizing that he was taking a different route than the one I had taken to the music room. 

Alexander shot me a smile that had my heart racing. "I'm going to announce that I've found my mate, my true soul mate and that I intend on making her our queen and one day, my wife." He stopped us just outside of a very large pair of double doors. "I know that I've made mistakes Kathleen. And though I would never give up my son, I do regret that those mistakes brought you pain."

His hand caressed my cheek and my eyes closed as I leaned into his touch.
"We've both made mistakes in the past, and that's where they are. Both of us have learned from them and I believe that we've come away as a better person." I hear him sigh before his lips softly press against my forehead.