Chapter 14

Luke waited patiently for the doctors to check his vitals, run a few last test, and unhook all the wires in him.

He was dismissed about an hour later. Ashton wheeled him out of the hospital and helped him out to the car.

"I can walk," Luke giggled, his arm wrapped around Ashton's neck for no reason.

"I know, Lukey, and I'm so proud of you for that." Ashton joked as he pinched Luke's cheek.

Luke blushed and looked at the ground. He climbed into the passenger seat and fiddled with the radio until Ashton got in.

"What's todays date?"

"Uh," Ashton checked his phone. "July first."

"Ooh, your birthday is in six days. How does it feel to be the big man on campus?"

Ashton laughed, "I'm getting old. Next thing you know I'm gonna start calling people 'sonny'."

Luke chuckled and shoved his hand into his pockets. What to get Ashton for his birthday... A new drum set? A scooter? CD's?

A new iPod, maybe. Ashton broke his months ago so that may be the perfect present.

Maybe a Guinea pig... Or a dog! A dog carrying an iPod. Ashton has been wanting (and begging for) a dog for months.

"What are you gonna get me?" Ashton cheekily elbowed Luke in the arm.

"I can't tell you," Luke grinned. "It ruins the element of surprise."

"Fuck surprises! I wanna know what it is."

"People in hell want ice water..."

Ashton pretended to pout as he drove down the highway.

-

Luke wasn't expecting everyone to jump out and say, "Surprise!" as soon as he walked through the door.

"What's this?" He asked.

"It's a welcome home party," Ashton wraps his arms around Luke's waist in a 'friendly' way.

Luke felt his eyes water up.

He needs to stop being so emotional.

"Aww, don't cry."

Michael and Calum came around and wrapped their arms around the other two boys.

"Group hug!"

-

"Morning, babe." Luke wrapped his arms around Ashton's waist and put his nose into Ashton's shoulder.

"Goodmorning, Lukey-poo, want some breakfast?"

Luke's stomach growled. He turned a small shade of pink and looked at his feet, "Yes, please."

They sat down on the kitchen table, holding hands and giggling at each other's cute little things.

"What's your favorite thing about me?" Ashton asked.

"Your... laugh. Definitely your laugh. And me?"

Ashton giggled, "Your smile."

Luke smiled at Ashton.

"I also love your maturity- or immaturity."

"Hey! I'm plenty mature."

They smiled a lot at each other in that dream.

Luke was in such a deep sleep, when he woke up he expected to have Ashton next to him. He expected to inhale Ashton's scent. But instead he opened his eyes and just saw the green wall layered with posters.