Part 6

A/N: Set after 4x12. SPOILER ALERT. If you haven't seen all episodes, don't read this.

It was cold out and snow was sticking to the ground. Regina shivered, wrapping her coat around her tighter as she stepped outside and into her car. She wasn't particularly looking forward to the town meeting she was heading to; but her mayoral duties – technically she was just aiding Snow because she has more experience, but it felt like she was reinstated as Mayor - had been keeping her busy from the thought of losing her true love, Robin Hood.

It had been a week since he had crossed the town line with his little family. She was heartbroken about it, and cried herself to sleep every night. But sometimes she smiled, like when Emma Swan animatedly talked about the adventures she had missed out on; those with Elsa, Anna and sometimes Kristoff. When at first Regina realized just how close Emma and Elsa were, she had felt a pang of jealousy; and she still wondered about that? Was she really jealous of a friendship between the two blondes? Perhaps she was, because it reminded her of a time when there was lacking a friendship between the former Evil Queen and the Saviour.

Regina sighed, annoyed out of her mind, as she arrived at the Town Hall. It was an open session, and Snow had insisted on her being present. Why couldn't they just leave her be?

"Sorry I'm late," She grinned as she walked in – still with the poise and composure of a Queen. She heard a snicker and saw Snow smiling widely at the little inside joke. Regina's dark eyes examined everyone in the room, and found Emma Swan, who was still snickering.

She sat herself in an empty seat and leaned back, already lost in thoughts. She was truly unhappy – again.

Why me? She kept thinking. She kept losing her happiness, her true love. She had lost Daniel, she had lost her father (well, sacrificed him), her mother, Henry (and had gotten him back, thank God) and now Robin. To a woman he didn't love. Not anymore. But it had been the right thing; and as she had told the Saviour, she knew it had been the right thing because she was, once more, miserable.

Miserable. The word described her life perfectly; it was as if the word had been invented just for her. That's how she felt about it; her heart ached, covered in scars that were never going to disappear, as no scar does. She had taken so many blows, it was a surprise that she was still standing. Her usually full red lips were mashed together, the corners of her mouth pointed slightly downward. She was oblivious to people glancing at her as Snow rambled on about town matters. Regina simply didn't care anymore.

When Snow adjourned the meeting, the former Queen couldn't be fast enough to gather little she had and scoot. She wanted back to the safety of her home, a glass of applecider and perhaps Henry would drop by later to help her in her search for The Author; they had been at it for weeks now, since even before she lost her Robin Hood, but no success. Emma had joined the search party, but alas.

"Regina." A voice stopped her; she turned around slowly, already having recognized it. She sighed again.

"Miss Swan..." She started, but was interrupted before she could give whatever excuse she would make up on the spot.

"Really? Back to that?" Emma Swan snorted. "I thought you'd at least call me Emma now that I'm helping you find your happy ending. Speaking of which – I think I've got it."

Regina's face lit up when the blonde told her the good news. Finally she would perhaps have a shot at a happy ending... If the Saviour wasn't setting her up for another disappointment, that is.

"Fine.. Emma." Regina smiled carefully. "Tell me."

But the blonde shook her head fiercely, glancing around.

"Not here. How about I come over tonight?" She asked quickly. Regina squinted at her; what was the blonde up to? Finally, she shrugged.

"We eat at seven. Don't be late." The former Evil Queen said, turning around on her heels and walking away without looking back.

Regina Mills held her composure; but in fact, deep within her she was nothing more than nervous turmoil. She was awfully curious about what the Saviour had found out, and she so hoped that it was beneficial for her happy ending. When Regina arrived at her Mayoral Mansion, which Snow didn't want because it was 'too big and mayor-y' – the older woman snorted at this thought – she decided she should clean it up a little. She didn't know why; Emma had been here plenty times and never had it been tidy. But perhaps it was more about trying to keep busy until she had to start preparing dinner...

When Emma Swan found her in the kitchen, she was just putting the lasagna in the oven. She felt eyes glued on her, but decided to ignore them just like she had ignored everything in the Town Hall.

"That was some boring meeting, huh?" She heard Emma say. The dark-haired woman shoved the lasagna into the right position and then upright herself. She clapped the oven shut and turned around to face the blonde; Emma was leaning against the door frame, grin on her face. Regina smiled. It was typically Emma Swan to start out with some boring small talk about some boring subject.

"Yes." Was all the former Queen replied. She busied herself by cleaning the counters she had just used to make dinner.

"Would you like a glass of apple cider.. Emma?" She asked politely, a small smile on her lush, red lips. She already walked to the study, where she kept all the alcohol, not awaiting an answer from Emma. However, she heard that Swan was following her by her heavy foot falls. She still felt eyes glued to her, and this time she felt.. pleasant under them.

She poured some liquid into two glasses and handed one over to the other woman, remembering the first time they drank together. She had wanted to get rid of the blonde, no matter what, but now they were.. friends. Ish.

"I meant it when I said I would do anything to get you your happy ending, Regina..." She heard the blonde whisper, and her head jerked up to stare at the younger one. She watched as Emma set her glass aside, and allowed her to take her glass out of her hands to set it on the bar as well. She simply stared as the Saviour took her hands in her own, and now her eyes dropped to their hands. Her heart ached; she had slowly started to realize that she was able to smile because of Emma Swan. That her heart ache wasn't because of losing Robin Hood, but by watching Emma being happy with Hook...

And she had shut those feelings up.

But now they were pouring out, just as Emma took her hands to her own, she had to feel. She had no choice but to stare into Emma's emerald eyes, dark meeting light.

Emma leaned in carefully, placing her thin, pale lips on Regina's. The dark woman sighed into the kiss, her eyes fluttering shut. She felt a warmth spread through her; her heart ached more. It had been empty for so long. She had longed for a place to belong for so many years, and now she was finally coming home...

It made so much sense that the Saviour was meant for the Evil Queen; there was no other person who understood her like Emma did. Who completed her and what she thoughts like Emma did.

Regina smiled into the kiss as Emma's hands cupped her cheeks. Her own arms locked around the blonde's waist. They broke apart a little later, their gazes lingering on each other's faces.

"I think I found your happy ending." Emma murmured, smiling.

"Indeed you did, Miss Swan." Regina teased, her voice now low and husky. "But how about some dinner first?"

She took Emma by the hand and led her back to the kitchen; her heart fluttered, no longer empty, and finally where it belonged.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey guys I know I haven't posted in awhile but I hoped you liked it ❤️