Chapter 4

Since master Rutherford informed Al that he'd be taking Leonardo on as a new student he had been worried. He suspected the master no longer had faith in him and his playing. Maybe he just wanted a student that would have an immediate career after graduation.

Al kept zoning back to the time when he and Leo had played together. He was good. Very good for that matter.

"Leonardo? As in Leonardo Abate? He's one of the school's prodigies. You should be happy you're having a chance to study with him."

Esterphina had told Alejandro when he had mentioned the topic of Master Rutherford taking on a new student. Her words only had Al worry all the more. She didn't understand why he was in a state of distress and panic.

So when Al heard the door to the music room creak open on the day of the dreaded pairing with master Rutherford's new student, his mind was sent into a state of panic.

He sat by his piano quietly as he strained his ears to listen in on the conversation Leonardo and the master were having.

"Al, you remember Leo, don't you? He's the young man that played with you the other day." Al turned his head towards the master's voice, a flood of bright blinding clours attacked his eyes. He must have looked towards the window. The sun and bright lights, in general, did that to the partial or full darkness he usually subjected to.

"Yes," Al responded.

How could he forget? He had been worrying about the said man for the past week.

Al reached out his hand for Leo's never the less. Leo offered it, pulling it back a little in reflex as Al started to trace it.

"That's how he gets to know people," Master Rutherford said, answering Leo's unasked question. It calmed him down a little, and he let Al go about whatever he was doing.

Leo took his hand away when Al let it go. He brought it to his chest, rubbing it with his free hand. He frowned, deciding that was in indeed a weird way to learn to know someone.

The master directed him to the free piano, taking out a fresh set of music sheets he wanted them to revise together.

"Sonata in E Major by Bach," the master said as he handed the notes to Leonardo. "I'll have to play it on tape for Al," you can read the sheets and get accustomed to the piece as Al practices." The master suggested, heading over to his desk. He fished about his cabinet for a while, retrieving a C.D. he then inserted into a small player Leo hadn't taken notice of before.

Leo read and went over the script as Al played. He had memorized the keys years ago like most music students and was only reading through to get accustomed to the song. As he tried to do some revision with his eyes, he suspected he would have to change some notes or their intensity considering the fact that what he was hearing from Al wasn't exactly the same.

As Al played and tried to get used to the notes, Leo changed and altered the music written on the sheet to try and compliment Al's playing.

He took a break from doing that, dropping the now randomly inked music sheet on his piano keyboard. He then turned his attention to Al and the master. He noticed Alejandro didn't seem to have any special technique, he just tested keys to see if they sounded similar to the ones playing in the background. Once in a while, he would ask for the music to be stopped so he could practice a part he'd put together.

Never the less, Leo was fascinated by his playing. Most visually disabled people opted for the brail sheets and here he was, putting everything together with just his ears.

He took notice of how Al's fingers felt the keys with differing intensity, that was probably how he got the substituted notes he opted for.

"I think you'll be able to play the first part together in a few minutes," Master Rutherford said, satisfied with Al's playing. The young man seemed to be extra conscious of the way he played today. It didn't bother the master as long as it brought forth results.