Chapter 10

Leo took hold of Al's hand freely as they walked about the park. Easterphina couldn't make it early to pick him up after the orchestra practice so Leo stayed behind to spend time with him.

"Will she be here soon?" Leo heard Al ask as the dark-haired man took his hand away from Leo's briefly to arrange his bangs.

"She should be here in about two hours or so," Leo said as they continued to walk through the park's path. There were kids about the place, and some of them looked on in awe at Al's walking stick.

Leo smiled, knowing the children wouldn't be able to put two and two together.

"Kenneth came by the studio asking for you. I'm sure he went to talk to you, how did it go?" Al asked as Leo ran his free hand through his blond hair as he thought back to Kenneth's confrontation.

"I told him that I won't be able to play with him," Leo said, turning his head so he could look at Al. The darker man looked like he was straining his ears to listen to the sound of playing children. The wind had brushed aside the long bangs that he'd tried to put back in place before, exposing his eyes. They were coated over with white, and his pupils stayed fixed and unmoving. Leo couldn't help thinking that the way Al's thick eyebrows and lashes framed them made them look captivating.

"Oh," Al muttered, taking his hand away from Leo's before tucking it into the pocket of his grey coat.

"I was wondering why he didn't ask you instead," Leo started, "he has played with you before under the same instructor. I felt that it would be easier to get along with you. Also, your piano playing is exceptional."

Leo watched Alejandro shrug at his statement. The young man let out a shy laugh. "Actually, we never got along, that's why I had to change instructors."

"Oh," Leo muttered. He wanted to probe Al a bit more, but he decided to stay out of it. Besides, it wasn't in his place to bring up a topic that seemed like a touchy subject.

"Do you want to get something to eat while we wait? Your sister is really taking her time," Leo said, making Alejandro chuckle. A small smile made its way to Leo's lips as he watched the young man laugh. There was just something about making Al happy that comforted him.

"Yes, can I have a corn dog? I can smell it, don't lie to me and tell me a stand isn't close by," Al said, making Leo chuckle before taking his hand. Leo led him down the part to the small stand at the corner.

"You should consider taking Kenneth's offer if he ever asks you to play with him," Leo muttered as he took a bite from his corn dog.

They were sitting on a bench that outlooked the park's playground. The evening was already painting the sky in pastel yellows and reds. Esterphina's practice seemed to have been further extended.

Leo watched Al shrug. The dark-haired man mumbled something inaudible under his breath before taking another bite of his corn dog.

"Will you be coming for any orchestra practices this week?" Leo asked as he watched Al eat.

Al shrugged, playing with the hair by the side of his ear. "I'll come early in the week. I have a lot to practice since Mr. Rutherford wasn't around the other day. He'll want to see what I did on my own."

Leo nodded, smiling brightly as he looked towards the park. "Claire and Marie are going to be making themselves regulars."

Al sighed beside him, making Leo look towards him. A worried look was playing on his face, and Leo's suspicion was only proved when Al aired his thoughts.

"She's supposed to be here by now," Al muttered, making Leo reach out to tap his shoulder in comfort.

"I'm guessing her rehearsal has been extended, and she probably can't get to her phone. You know how the instructors can be."