Chapter 9

Damien's POV

I was a mess. I was a jerk. I admit it. I needed to get my act together in order to be a alpha worthy of my pack.

Today is the day I am going to go to Aria and beg her to give me a chance. I told Vincent.

Thank goddess. Someone has knocked some sense into you stupid human. Vincent growled at me. He had been pretty pissed at me lately. Normally you are extremely close with your wolf, but our relationship was definitely strained.

I guess we need couples counseling along with Aria and I. I grunted. Vincent ignored me.

I drove over to Aaron's house and banged on the door. It was now or never. Aaron answered the door after a minute.

"Hey dude, what's up?" He asked casually.

I just barged into the house and asked "Where's Aria?"

"Why? If you haven't noticed she isn't your biggest fan. I didn't think you liked her all that much either."

Then I let all the pent up anger and frustration that I had been feeling out. I told Aaron everything. How she was my mate. How I rejected her. How everything has gone to hell. Aaron just stared at me for a solid minute, letting it sink in. Then he lunged.

He socked me right in the jaw. I wasn't expecting it, even though I probably should have. Then he tackled me to the ground and kept punching me.

"YOU ASSHOLE. YOU REJECTED MY SISTER AND THE FUTURE LUNA TO THIS PACK." He screamed at me while he punched me. He said other stuff that involved very colorful words.

"I know," was all I said while I took the beating. I deserved it.

Aaron finally calmed down and stopped hitting me.

"I need to see Aria," was all I said.

"HELL NO." Aaron yelled at he guarded the stairs up to her room.

"Aaron."

"Fuck this. You aren't seeing my sister you douche."

"Aaron, let me see her." I commanded him. He whimpered, but didn't stand down.

"If Aria wants to see you, you can see her." He sneered. "Aria!" He called. No answer. "Aria!" He tried again. Still no answer.

Vincent was being antsy and I was starting to get nervous. Something didn't feel right. Something was off. Her scent was off. It wasn't as strong. It almost smelled... stale?

"Aria!" I yelled as I pushed past Aaron.

"Fuck off Damien!" Aaron yelled at me as I tried to get up the stairs. Luckily I was able to shove him down some steps and run up to her room.

The door was locked. Something wasn't right.

"Aria! Open this door up right now!" I banged. No answer. "If you don't open this door right now I am going to break it down!" I yelled, thinking that it would get her to. Still no answer.

I easily broke down the door with Aaron on my heels. I ran over to Aria's sleeping body. It wasn't right though. My advanced hearing couldn't hear the sounds of her heart beating, and her chest wasn't moving.

"Aria!" I shook her small body. She didn't stir. Her body wasn't warm enough.

"Aria!" Aaron screamed. Then I saw the pill bottle next to her bed. It was empty.

Fuck.

I quickly scooped up her body and ran downstairs and out the door with Aaron next to me. We hopped in the car and sped over to the doctor. Luckily it wasn't that far from the house.

"SHE'S OVERDOSED." I screamed as I brought her into the doctor's office. "EVERYONE NEEDS TO HELP HER NOW." I bellowed in my alpha voice. Immediately everyone got up and started scrambling. The doctor tried to take her out of my arms but Vincent let out a deadly growl.

"Alpha, we need to take her now." The doctor said. I knew he was right. I handed her over reluctantly while the nurses prepped the room for her.

They wouldn't let me in the room because of contamination. I angrily paced back and forth in front of the door waiting. Aaron took a seat and was crying and shouting profanity at me.

Aria was on the operating table getting her stomach pumped and receiving CPR.

A half hour later the doctor came out and said the worst words in the dictionary.

"We couldn't revive her."

Vincent immediately took over and shifted. He let out a heartbroken howl.