Chapter 1

His fingers grazed over the expensive fabric, the feeling of silk being smooth against his fingers. He had an array of clothing racks displayed in front of him. So much choice and yet he was stumped on what to wear. The price tag wouldn't faze him, it was more the feel of the fabric that he was after, something smooth felt expensive but not too expensive. He knew what he liked, yet here, now- he was stumped. 

It was rare that he got to go out and pick the clothing himself, often being dressed by the staff in the castle. Yet, his parents had granted him the opportunity to pick out his own clothing since it was a special occasion.

A ball had been announced throughout the kingdom. Even though the laws had been changed in the kingdom about who he could marry, there had still been no abolishment of him having to get married to be King.

Both princes and princesses had been invited, the Prince being glad that the law had been changed so he wouldn't be forced to be in a relationship with a woman. He had always been attracted to men, but even though his parents knew of this, they still dismissed it.

The law showed that they hadn't dismissed it in its entirety, but he was still being encouraged to be wed to a princess, only because the marrying of a princess would mean a guaranteed heir that would continue the bloodline, whereas a prince could lead to an heir through adoption, but one that would not be biologically his and therefore not carrying the bloodline. Even though they would still be a heir, he was pressured to properly continue the bloodline.

He already knew that wouldn't be the case. His stomach churned at the idea of being intimate with a woman.

He shook his head, leading his mind away from the thoughts that were going on in his head. As he snapped out of his daze, he realised his hand had landed on one of the most luxurious suits he had seen. It was a royal blue colour, with black lining. It may have looked like a normal suit, but it seemed to dazzle almost as the light hit off it and it made him unable to take his eyes of the suit. He didn't like being the centre of attention, but he always was as the prince anyway. So why would it hurt to wear a suit that would draw him further into attention, especially when he liked it so much. 

He signalled the worker over and notified that he would be purchasing the outfit, them hurrying to meet his demand and he then left the store, not surprised that the guards were waiting to accompany him back to the castle.

'Just the day in the life of a prince' he thought as he got back into the carriage, watching the scenery as it passed him by. He wished that he had the opportunity to explore the outside scenery more, but he was often stuck seeing the same walls of the castle, often being too busy with his duties to ever think about leaving. It's why he treasured something simple as going shopping for an outfit for the ball, it was one of the only opportunities he had to get at least a little taste of the outside world. He knew that shopping was probably nothing like this in the town, but he never got to go to the town. His parents were scared of him being seen, but they were far away from any city. 

The castle was situated in a far off countryside land, they owned the land and it's cultural heritage meant that there were kings and queens crowned of the land. Yet, they only ruled the land that they owned, it wasn't like he would ever be the king of the whole world. They were modern, not wearing the typical outfits that he had seen in the typical fantasy cliches. He had a phone for staters, he knew what some of the outside world looked like from that. The busy streets, the many cars and some areas of poverty, but never like how they were depicted in movies. Seeing it on screen made him long for it more, the experience of going out in the world. 

He wouldn't look forward to having to dodge people on the street, the people that did come weren't a princess. There weren't many other kingdoms that really had princesses or princes, so he could really marry anybody. Their kingdom wasn't very well-known, so they could only send invites to smaller cities miles outside of the outskirts of their kingdom. Some people attended, but only to get a taste of the luxurious lifestyle that was presented at the ball, the glimmering chandeliers and the high-class food. They weren't extremely rich, but they weren't poor either. The town's population was about 100 people, so it was still considered small, more of a village than a city.

It was a tourist destination he guessed, almost like the Buckingham Palace. They were never allowed to come into the castle, that's why everyone often tried to get invites to the ball so that they could gain an opportunity to actually witness and explore what was inside of the castle. He always liked the way that people held so much excitement and amazement in their gazes. Unlike him, they were witnessing the castle for the first time. It was a view that he guessed he had gotten tired of seeing, with how often he spent in the castle, so it was nice to know that is was appreciated by the visitors that they had attending the ball.

Even though he hated the idea of having a ball to find a suitor for him, he hated to admit that it had grown lonely in the castle. Yeah, he had his parents, but it was a different type of love. He was kind of a sappy romantic, so finding true love at a ball- it was appealing. He definitely wasn't too hopeful, but maybe...just maybe- he could find the one at the ball.