Chapter 3

The sound of the small heels on his shoe echoed along the corridor. He had finally made it to the ball but was running late of course. Max hadn't realised that the invite had been sent at such short notice, being dated to that very evening that it had been received. He gathered most people were aware of the event beforehand, but he was unaware. He didn't tend to keep up with news or events, often being in his own world or busy with work to gain that information. Therefore, once he got off work he had been rushing to find an outfit, a ride and trying to get himself ready in time. 

That had not gone very successfully, and he had arrived at the castle very late. He was upset that he missed the start of the ball, but that did not stop his feet from almost running down the corridor and to the door before the ballroom. He smoothed his hands down his suit, trying to smooth out the creases he had gotten from running. His hand pulled on the door, opening with a loud creak that seemed to direct everyone's attention to him.

He hurriedly, but gracefully, made his way down the stairs, trying to avoid the crowd's watchful gazes whilst doing so.  opens with a creak that seemed to direct everyone's attention. He mentally sighed but tried to make his way down the stairs as elegantly as he could, trying to avoid all the gazes on him.

His snow-white suit almost reflected of the bright lights of the chandeliers, making him almost glow amongst the crowd. It wasn't only his suit that made him glow, but the radiant smile that he had on his face as he took in the setting around him. He was in awe of the whole thing, never believing that he would step foot inside the castle, or attend the Prince's ball. It truly was a dream come true. From being in his apron just that morning, all of this felt rather overwhelming. In a way, he believed this was all a dream.

Prince Charming's P.O.V

The night seemed so long, yet it had not long begun. It seemed so dull and bleak, despite the room being lit with chandeliers. A crowd of people surrounded me, but their words fell on deaf ears. The world seemed so empty of colour, my eyes almost searching for something more amongst the crowds. I did not know what I was searching for, but there was a sense of longing in my gaze. I did not know what that longing was for, but it did not stop the feeling from being there.

That's when the room seemed to light up full of colour as he walked into the room, an image of beauty that sparked the room full of colour. The world no longer seemed so dull, and the longing had become evident. I was longing for love and in one simple glance, I had found it. I was bewitched, entranced. It wasn't just his beauty that drew my gaze, but the way that he seemed to view the world. His gaze held such softness and amazement, it made me want to view the world through his eyes.

His name was a mystery to me, but so was he. I wanted to see a world full of colour and beauty, almost like everything was being seen for the first time. He had an aura about him, he could tell just from a glance that he seemed to hold so much wonder for the world.

At that moment, I knew I wanted to spend the night trying to even gain a fraction of his attention. I believed that even a fraction of his attention would be enough to provide a light to my life, despite how stupid it may sound. A light had been missing in my world, but it almost seemed to be brought back to life as soon as he walked into the room. I was not a believer of love at first sight, but yet- this felt like exactly it. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Max had let himself fall into his fantasy, being so wrapped up in the fairytale that he did not notice the Prince seeking his beauty. He was living one of the experiences he read in his books, a fairytale come true. As the music started, he could feel herself getting washed away in the crowd. He hid her insecurity with a look of confidence. He would always dance by herself when left alone, and it seemed to have paid off.

His eyes fell on the Prince. He was rather handsome...charming even, even more in person than his photos. He was taken back, he had finally caught his gaze and he was looking back at him? That did not seem right at all, was he hallucinating? Why would he be looking at him, when he had so many beautiful women surrounding him?

Blushing a bright pink at the realization, he couldn't believe that the Prince was watching him with such wonder. However, he didn't want to be rude, so his eyes fell back onto his partner, trying to focus on leading her and trying to not let his mind get distracted with the idea of possibly getting to know the bright-eyed wonder, that was the prince.

Even the few seconds of eye contact that the Prince would make with him would feel like an eternity, his eyes twinkling off the lights of the chandeliers. He tried to guide his partner eloquently across the dancefloor, making her almost look as graceful as a swan. He wondered if he was mistaken and the Prince was looking at his partner, not at him. Despite the change in the laws, he thought the idea of the prince liking a man was absurd. He was not one to make assumptions about one's sexuality, but he could not help think the obvious. He was probably straight, the hot ones always were.

He would just have to accept he didn't have a chance. Sometimes fantasies don't always come true...That's the problem with fantasy, it isn't real life- no matter how much you wish it could be.