Chapter 3 - Meeting Bennett

"Happy birthday, Lee!" I said as I kissed my brother on the cheek.

   Lee pushed me away playfully. "Ew! Come on sis!" He wined. "I'm too old for that!" He puffed up his chest. "I'm sixteen now, don't you remember why you are here?" He teased.

   "Actually," I said as I hugged him, smushing his cheek to mine. "You aren't sixteen for another hour."

   "I'm still too old for this," he grumbled.

   "You'll never be to old for me, my little monkey."

   Lee groaned and shoved me away from him again. He held a hand up to keep me from hugging him again. He swiped at his cheek.

   "Aw! Lee! Do I have cooties?" I teased him.

   "No," he grumped. "Your hair itches."

   I slipped around the arm warding me away and playfully pinched his cheek. "Poor monkey! Aren't you so lucky that you have short hair? Well, shortish." I ruffled his slightly to long hair which elicited another growl from him.

   "Don't do that!" He smoothed out his hair and glared up at me from where he sat. "And don't call me monkey!" He wined. "That was so long ago! I was seven!"

   "Yeah," I laughed, "and you claimed a tree to save my kite," I put a finger to my chin and corrected my statement. "Actually, I'm pretty sure that was more for Bethany then me," I said thoughtfully.

   "Hey! She was pretty!"

   "You were seven, little monkey. You didn't know a girl from a pig at that age!"

   He looked at me smugly, "Your kite is out of the tree, isn't it?"

   I scrunched up my nose at him. "That's only because you love me," I sing-songed.

   "Only because I love girls," he corrected.

   "You do realize that you fell out of the tree, right? She laughed at you for a week straight."

   He frowned at the memory. "Yeah, I did fall, didn't I? Oops," he paused, "she really laughed at me for a week?"

   I ruffled his brown hair affectionately. "Yes she did! Poor monkey!"

   Lee opened his mouth, probably to yell at me for touching his hair and for calling him monkey again, but a knock on the door cut him off.

   Lee and I shared a knowing look and he started struggling to get out of the chair. I raced off towards the door shouting "I'll get it!"

   I slammed into the door at full speed, barely reaching it before Lee. I stuck my tongue out at him as he skidded to a stop behind me.

   "Haha, I beat you," I taunted, sticking out my tongue again.

   "Then open the door," he retorted  with a snort as he lightly pushed me out of the way.

   The door opened, revealing a familiar chocolate eyed officer.

   I glared at him. "We are trying to celebrate, go away."

   The officer looked at me blankly for a few minutes before a smile slowly formed on his face.

   "Oh! I see! You are the girl that I visited a while back too see if you were going to enter the Choosing. I'm actually here for Lee. Don't worry about it though Darling. You wouldn't be Chosen anyway," he said smugly.

   I felt my jaw drop and quickly snapped it shut. "Oh," I replied. "Is that why you were practically begging me to enter?"

   His eyes darkened and he returned my glare.