Chapter 10- Nature is stronger then Humanity

One week. It's been one whole week since Theo got his stitches. One whole week that no one has been attacked by the beast.

   I know that it can't last, but I'm still here. Still with my family, with Aaron, with my humanity. The second I go with the beast all of my humanity will be gone. How could I be human while living with a beast?

   Sitting outside below the shade tree, I was pondering giving myself to the beast. It would be a stupid decision and possibly a deadly one for me.

   My thoughts kept running in circles. I would talk myself out of just giving in to the beast just for Theo to flash into my mind. I have no doubt that Theo was supposed to die. What if he goes after my siblings? What if he goes after another child, one even younger this time? I can't let anyone get hurt just to save myself.

   Someone sat beside me turned slightly away, both of our backs pressed closely to the tree.

   "It's been a whole week," the person finally spoke. I glanced over when he began talking.

   "I know," I responded.

   "He's going to attack soon," he continued.

   "If you would just tell everyone who the Beast is, lives wouldn't be in danger, now would they? You have to tell someone. You can't just let him attack and kill people. He almost killed an eight year old, Owen. Theo could have died! You can't just let him do that!" My voice was filled with desperation.

   Owen scrubbed a hand through his hair as he glared at me. "You know I can't do that."

   "Why not?" I retorted. "The second he decides you aren't of use to him anymore, he'll kill you. You and I both know it's true! You are expendable."

   "He won't kill me."

   "Owen! Wake up and smell the truth tree! You are in denial. The Beast tried to kill an eight year old. What makes you think you are worth more to him then the life of a child?"

   "He didn't try to kill Theo," Owen whispered, nearly so quiet I didn't hear him.

   I drew back from Owen in shock. How could he defend what I knew to be true? "What do you mean he didn't try to kill Theo? I saw the cut, Theo is lucky to be alive."

   "He has killed people, but he doesn't like to. He meant to just scratch Theo, just hard enough to be a warning. He went to deep though."

   I paled. "You talk as if you know."

   Owen snorted. "Of course I know."

   I scrambled onto my feet and started backing away from him.

   "Wait. Bella, that's not what I meant!"

   "You're the Beast," I breathed out as I backed further away from him.

   "Bella, listen to me. I'm not the Beast."

   I turned and took off running for the safety of my home. I slammed the door behind me and looked out the window. Owen was sitting where I left him, his head buried in his hands.

   "What are you doing?" Miss Larissa asked.

   "Owen is the Beast," I told her, a frantic note taken up in my voice.

  She raised an eyebrow and looked out the window at him.

   "He looks very beastly," she said with a small laugh.

   This isn't funny. At all. He almost killed Theo!"

   "It isn't him, first of all. And second, Theo is still alive, isn't he?"