Chapter Nine- When the Beast Attacks

A/N: When I finished writing this chapter it was my complete pride and joy but then I reread it and it actually isn't that good until you get farther in '_'

   "Belly. Wake up Belly," A soft voiced whispered at me. "Come on. Wake up Belly," the voice said again as they gently shook my arm.

   "Go away," I mumbled grumpily as I attempted to move away from the voice and the hand that continued to shake me.

   A familiar laugh rang throughout the room, causing me to slowly open my eyes.

   "What do you want?" I snapped, glaring at Aaron's grinning face.

   "Are you awake now, Belly?"

   "No," I replied sarcastically, "I'm sleep talking."

   He nodded his head seriously. "You do do that."

   I glared at him but didn't say anything.

   "What? You do," he said honestly.

   "No I don't!" I grumbled back. I tore my eyes from his and looked around, slowly realizing that I wasn't at home.

   "Why am I here? Where exactly is here?"

   Aaron crouched beside me and raised an eyebrow. "You don't know?"

   I shook my head.

   "Owen!" He barked out, causing me to wince.

   "We don't have time for this," a familiar voice said from beside Aaron.

   My eyes latched onto a frantic looking Larissa. "What's wrong? Are you okay? Are you hurt?" I spit out in a rush now fully awake.

   "I'm fine."

   I looked her over once more. She appeared to be okay, but her voice warned me that something was wrong.

   "Someone else got hurt," I said slowly.

   Miss Larissa and Aaron shared a look.

   "Remember that thing that happened when your dad died? When your brain shut down? Your brain was avoiding the pain and a high stress situation. When you woke up, you couldn't remember what happened. Your memories slowly came back though," Miss Larissa paused, as if not wanting to tell me the rest.

   "It happened again last night," Aaron finished.

   My eyebrows scrunched up in confusion. "Why-"

   "We don't have time for this!" Miss Larissa interrupted, once again the franticness back in her voice. She grabbed my arm and pulled me to my feet.

   The pink offering dress swished gracefully around my feet as I stood. My eyebrows furrowed again as I tried to remember why I was wearing the uncomfortable dress. Before I could vocalize any questions Owen appeared in the doorway, bringing with him memories of last night.

   One memory in particular.

   He let out a frustrated sigh. "Short answer, the Beast gets both. The male and female go to him."

   "Does the town enforcement know? Like the officers too?"

   "Some officers know," he admitted. "The town officials know, they are the ones that started it. They created the deal to keep the town safe. The offering to the goddess is just a cover up. Our people want safety but they wouldn't want to give up a girl to do so."

   "We've been lied to," I vocalized, praying that someone would correct me, tell me it was a dream, tell me I'm wrong.

   "We don't have time," Miss Larissa growled again. "Right now, someone is laying in my clinic dying. I need Bella so that I can stitch him up and save his life but instead we are standing here talking about unimportant matters like a silly dress."