Prologue

Prologue

It was 72 degrees out, at least that was what they had said on the plane, but he felt like he was freezing. Adjusting his backpack he scanned the area his eyes immediately landing on the face he'd expected. It wasn't the face he had wanted to see but it was the face he'd expected, his stomach churned slightly as he walked forward a part of him almost wishing he could turn around and get back on the plane, almost.

He kept his eyes down as he approached them, the face he'd been expecting and one that he had not. It couldn't be described how badly he felt, he wanted to be happy being back after so long anyone else would be weeping crushing whose ever friendly face they saw first into a giant, probably bone crushing, hug. But he could barely manage to fake a smile as he gave a half hearted hug to the people before him.

The ride back home was more than he could handle, a headache set in instantly the moment conversation filled the car. It was simple conversation, it was obvious no one was going to ask any real question. Where he'd been? Why he didn't really tell anyone? What had he done? They weren't the worst questions to ask but they were taboo none the less, and he wouldn't answer them anyways.

Leaning his head against the window he felt himself let out a long sigh, afterwards realizing that it had been too loud as the car silenced. An awkward tension settled in, filling the void that had been previously filled with annoying chatter. He mumbled a thanks under his breath, the only slightly audible sign that he preferred the silence.

Silence was all he needed.

Silence and the unobtainable, for lack of better words, it was heart wrenching to know what you want and know you cant have it. Especially through no fault of your own. His gut twisted, begging to let him heave up the content of his stomach, but he refused to as he kept his poker face and stared out the window. Even as he settled into his silence, and even as content as he was with the silence his gut still twisted in the worse way.

The feeling was the same as he remembered it from the very first time he encountered it. It was a longing sensation one that couldn't be ignored, one that demanded the unobtainable.