Chapter 08

Chapter Eight:

The day had been too long and his temper was too short. He was grinding his teeth as he walked through the building, he could hear people greeting him as he walked past but he didn't respond. In his hand, a simple manila folder, it was stuffed with documents he didn't want to look at but unfortunately had. Finally reaching the office door he had been looking for he opened it not even caring that it had been clearly closed for a reason. The lady at the desk was on the phone, the moment he stepped in her eyes slanted in an obviously upset manner until she registered just who he was.

She fumbled with the phone, rambling an excuse to whoever was on the other end before hanging up, she began to fake polite conversation but he was too upset. He waved a hand shutting her up before she said anything and tossed the folder down on her desk. Her mouth flapped like a fish desperate to get back into the water causing him to sigh and slam the door shut behind him.

"How the hell, do you have so many failures?" He hissed, trying his hardest not to yell even as his temper told him to. He had to be careful that he was only blaming her for what was actually her fault and not just everything that had caused his day to be a giant pile of stupidity. "You are the only one here whose shop has this many failures. Only one person in your shop passed, how is that possible?"

"I don't know, First Sergeant, I gave them the traini-"

"Now you're just lying because I've talked to your shop and no one got the training." He stated cutting her off before she could say anything else. He couldn't believe he had to deal with this, he wanted to reach across her desk and just shake some common sense into her. Had she really expected him not to do his homework and just take her word for something like this. "That folder has everything you need in it to conduct the training, and a few counseling statement for you, I suggest you stop making phone calls and get started with both of those."

Her jaw slacked as she stuttered to try and come up with something but he was done, already opening the office door and storming through it. He was determined this time to make it back to his office without someone asking him for something. It wasn't possible though, literally a few steps out of her office and someone was calling for him. He contemplated telling them to fuck off but decided to just keep walking, praying they would think he was busy and leave him alone but they didn't. Instead they sped up, practically running to catch up with him, before grabbing his shoulder finally getting him to stop walking. He rolled his eyes skyward, collecting himself mentally, before turning to face the female who had stopped him.

"What do you need?" He asked preparing himself to receive the fifteenth question about the schedule for the day but instead she held out a lilac sticky note. She smiled slightly when he didn't take it before rushing to explain.

"A woman called for you today, left her contact information for you." She stated, as if that gave him all the information he needed to know. He quirked an eyebrow, still refusing to take the sticky note as he waited for her to explain in more detail but she just awkwardly stood there. Retracting her arm a bit, probably because she realized he wasn't taking the sticky but still slightly holding it out to him for whatever reason.

"Did you get her name? Why she called? You know the important stuff."

"Oh of course, but, uh, she said it was a private matter so I didn't get much but its on the sticky." The female replied looking around to see if anybody might be listening. He couldn't imagine what could be so private that it needed to be worried about being overheard but he didn't care enough to ask. Taking the sticky note from her, he mumbled a thank you shoving it in his pocket without looking at it. He'd get to it later, now all he wanted was to lock himself in his office. He turned away, walking towards his office again, hoping that she would go her separate way but she followed him.

"So..." She began, her voice a low whisper trailing into an annoying hum as she followed him towards his office. Probably hoping that he had a clue as to what was on the sticky note. She seemed like the type to gossip, that was probably the reason she had answered his phone. He was literal steps away from his office door, and thankfully there was no one standing by it waiting for him. He could almost feel a bit of his annoyance slip away until she opened her mouth again. "Who is Eshe, if you don't mind?"

"What?" He stopped walking, turning to look at the woman once more. He could feel his heart hammering and he suddenly regretted crumpling the sticky note into his pocket. He fought the urge to fish it out not wanting to give this woman anything to use for gossip. He quirked an eyebrow, attempting to make it seem as if he'd simply misheard her, not that he'd been thrown through an emotional roller coaster at the sound of a name.

"The woman who called said her name was Eshe, who is she, if I may ask?" The woman clarified and his stomach knotted at the sound of that name. Carefully he walked the rest of the way to his office, careful not to seem unnerved by her questioning. He walked into his office, gripping the door handle even as she continued to talk."It's kind of a weird name so I'm curious."

"I have no idea, I'll have to call her and find out." He lied, dismissing the woman with a small nod before closing the door. He could hear her huff at him shutting the door but he paid no attention to it, locking it for good measure before fishing the crumpled sticky note out from his pocket. Sitting down behind his desk he smoothed out the sticky note, staring at it for a moment as the truth of the situation settled in.