Chapter 10

Chapter Ten:

"Aiden and Alice, it makes sense." Maxine mumbled as she and Alice walked towards their first class of the day. Alice smiled brightly next to her, she'd been in a good mood since Tuesday. Honestly Maxine had been waiting for her to stop being so happy about everything seeing as it was now Friday but Alice's happiness seemed as endless as her reason's to talk about her father. "But I still think you're named after Alice in Wonderland."

"Yeah probably but that would make sense too, lots of families only use the same first letter for their names." Alice defended causing Maxine to shake her head.

"Yeah I guess." Maxine sighed not really caring about the topic as they stopped outside of their first classroom door. A few other students gathered around the door talking about their weekend plans as they waited for their teacher to arrive. Their first class of the day way sign language so nobody was really concerned when or if the teacher would show up but Mrs.Benway was usually about ten minutes late on average.

Maxine slouched against the wall, dropping her book bag onto the floor as Alice stood off to the side of her, leaning on the wall but not fully due to not wanting to take off her book-bag. They stood there in a comfy silence, Alice smiling to herself until another one of their friends came bouncing up to join them.

"Hey guys!" Chris greeted them as he did every morning, to which Maxine and Alice simply waved in reply as he rushed into a crazy story. "So the other day my mom and I had to go to soccer practice and I saw Stacy and Kim playing on the other team. My mom said to say hi to them before the game but when I went over to say hi I saw their mom's talking and they were like really really nice to each other then Stacy's mom just kissed Kim's mom. I forgot to say hi to Stacy and Kim but don't you think that's crazy. Stacy and Kim's mom's dating?"

"I'm not surprised." Maxine replied, holding up a hand as she yawned before she continued. "Stacy and Kim are like sister's anyways their mom's hang out together a lot."

"Do you think they'll like, get married and Kim and Stacy will be real sisters?" Chris smiled widely excitedly looking around, most likely looking for Stacy and or Kim to ask the same question. Both Maxine and Alice only shrugged in reply to his questions, neither of them had much interest in that sort of thing. Chris was that one friend they both knew was going to grow up to be the biggest school gossip and despite neither one of them cared for gossip they still loved him anyways.

Maxine was more disinterested than anything, she just didn't really care what other people were doing and how they were doing it. Alice on the other hand just felt gossip was a bit rude. Her grandmother had always told her 'other people's business is other people's business until they decide to share it with other people'. the saying had confused Alice when she was younger but when she'd entered third grade she started to understand what her grandmother meant.

"Okay well, how's the dad thing? Has he called back?" Chris asked Alice, who shook her head slightly. Eshe had explained to her that her father was in the military and probably wouldn't have time to get back to them right away. He'd said that they should at least wait til the weekend before worrying or trying again.

"Nope, but I have a really good feeling I'll hear from him this weekend." Alice's smile widened as she shook her head no, while she replied to Chris' question. The blinding smile made Maxine need to fight the urge to roll her eyes, a trait she'd recently picked up from her CiCi.