Brutal Dawn

★★★ ★★★ ★★★ ★★★

★★★ ★★★ ★★★ ★★★

ACT 2

★★★ ★★★ ★★★ ★★★

⏳ --

Trust was a fragile thing

Trust was a fragile thing. It took years to build, and only seconds to break. It was something I didn't give away lightly, and when I did it was usually a mistake. I'd made that mistake. I'd made a grave one, one I hadn't seen coming, one that was hidden in plain sight, a chameleon hidden among the crowds.

After arriving at the camp through the portal, Astra and Wanda helped Gilliam to the medical tent. I made my way towards Primavera's tent alone, throwing around scenarios in my head about how I was going to break the news about Chameleon to her. I knew it wasn't going to be an easy truth to get across, but she needed to know, especially if we were going to fight him soon or later.

She was waiting for me at the entrance of her tent, fingers threaded together in front of her, wearing an expression I couldn't decipher. I swallowed. There was no going back now.

"I am pleased you have returned," she greeted in a gentle tone. I smiled nervously, and she knew automatically that something was wrong. Her blank expression melted into a worried one. "What is it, child?"

I took a small breath. "There's something I have to tell you."

She gestured towards the tent, and I followed her through. I explained everything that happened – the hot springs, the Killing Caves, rescuing Gilliam...and Chameleon.

The colour drained from Primavera's face when she heard the word traitor and his name put together in the same sentence. Her jaw tensed as she clenched it, and her hands balled into fists. I'd never seen her that angry and I wanted to get out of the firing line as fast as I could.

"Why would he do this?" she growled through gritted teeth. "Does he have any idea what damage he will cause siding with that lunatic?"

"I tried to get through to him," I said. "He wouldn't listen. Eon's grip on him was too strong."