Chapter 8

Chapter 8

                I saw Reina again later that week, only this time, we were in the waiting room of Dr. Roberts’ office. Julianne had just gone inside for her scheduled twelve o’clock appointment, leaving me to wait for her alone with Reina. I cautiously took a seat beside her, glancing over at the newest issue of some gossip magazine she had in her lap. Once Reina’s eyes met mine, I had no choice but to offer her the smallest smile. “Hey.” I simply greeted.

                Reina seemed to be in a lighter mood this time, returning me a lopsided smile. I noticed that she wasn’t wearing any lip gloss this time. It was the first time that I’ve seen her without any lip color on. An eerie silence filled amongst us for the longest time. The only thing that you could possibly hear was the sound of the clock ticking.

               “Listen Everly,” Reina started off, breaking the tension, “I just wanted to apologize for how I acted earlier this week. I didn’t mean to make you feel uncomfortable.”

                I shook my head. “It’s fine, really.”

                “No, it’s not.” Reina insisted, sighing as she stared at her limp fingers with sadness overcoming her eyes. “You don’t have to treat me like I have some illness just because my brother told you that I’m bi-polar. I’m still a human being and no person should make another feel unwanted, so I’m sorry.”

                I’d never actually realized how intelligent and mature Reina was, especially for being a thirteen year old. I remember when I was thirteen; I was never this well-spoken like she was. I gave her a smile, a genuine one this time. “You’re forgiven.”

                Reina smiled back before her smile turned into a devious smirk. “So, let’s recall.” She paused. “What exactly were you and my brother doing before I came downstairs the other day?”

                My eyes widened as I realized where this conversation was heading. “Uh-uh,” I stuttered, feeling flustered all of the sudden, “we were talking.”-which actually wasn’t a lie.

                Reina snorted, rolling her eyes to clearly show that she didn’t believe me- not for a second. “Yeah, right.” She said sarcastically. “And what, are you going to tell me now that pigs can fly?” Or that the sky isn’t blue? Come on, I know you two were fondling. People don’t just press up against each other like that to ‘talk’.”

                Fondling? What does that even mean?

                “We weren’t doing anything, I swear.” I assured, finally feeling my body return to its normal temperature.

                Reina showed that she gave up, letting out an exhausted sigh. “Okay, fine.” She said with defeat. “But, you’re good for him.”

                I blinked before chuckling nervously. “Right, of course.” I mumbled. “His grades have been improving a lot in calculus.”

                Reina rolled her eyes, shaking her head. “I didn’t mean as a tutor, Everly.” She sighed. “I meant as a friend, possibly a girlfriend.”

                My eyes widened as I choked on my own saliva. I turned to Reina with disbelief as she released an amused laugh. I shook my head profusely, feeling my cheeks warm up. Even though the idea of Jace and I together sounded nice, I knew it wasn’t going to happen. Too much was happening right now for the both of us. “No, no, no.” I stated. “You’ve gotten it all twisted.”