Chapter 22

Chapter 22

                Closing my eyes, I allowed for the aching pain in my chest to take over my heart.

                I’ve never experienced what it was like for my heart to get broken before. I’d never thought that the term ‘heartbroken’ actually meant getting your heart shattered into millions of pieces. But, the second I turned away from Jace tonight, I confirmed it for myself. Taking no more than three steps away from Jace, I felt my heart being stomped on brutally. I could hear my heart cracking on the inside, literally tearing me apart as I cried uncontrollably.

Part of me hated Jace for causing me this grief, but at the exact same time, I blamed myself for not being stronger- for not knowing how to control my emotions.

                “You okay?” Julianne asked as she came back into her bedroom with two steaming mugs. She handed me one before sitting beside me at the edge of her bed. “It’s your favorite, green tea.”

                I wrapped my fingers around the mug for warmth. I stared up from my hands, giving Julianne the best smile I could possibly muster. After I fled George Collins’ party earlier that night, I came straight to Julianne’s house. She didn’t question why I was knocking on her door at one in the morning, wearing a party dress and crying my eyes out. Julianne simply wrapped her arms around me before directing me inside her house.

                “I’ll be fine.” My voice was still croaky. “Thanks.”

                Julianne rolled her eyes, placing her palm over mine. “You don’t have to thank me.” She scoffed. “This is nothing compared to everything that you’ve done for me before. I’m just slowly paying back my dues.”

                I released a chuckle, thankful for such an amazing best friend. Julianne still had the ability to make me laugh, despite our current situation. I was absolutely sure that she was the only one who had any chance in cheering me up right now. “God, I’m so lucky to have you.” I sighed.

                Julianne gave me a small smile, giving my hand a gentle squeeze. “Are you ready to tell me what happened at that party now?” she asked quietly. “It’s okay if you aren’t.”

                I nodded, closing my eyes I recollected myself. I was no longer crying now- the tears had stopped after an hour of nonstop waterworks. But, it didn’t mean that I wasn’t still hurting, because I was. I still felt numb all over, except for my heart. My heart was in unbearable pain. I told Julianne everything- all the way from my mother informing me about George’s New Year’s party to me telling Jace that the two of us should pretend like we’ve never met one another.

                By the end of it, Julianne had her arms around me as she engulfed into a bone crushing hug. “I’m so sorry, Everly.” She whispered. “You didn’t deserve to be surprised like that. Jace is an idiot and he should’ve told you, at least.”

                I sighed, burying my face into the crook of Julianne’s neck. “I’ll be okay.”

                Julianne pulled away from me, frowning. “This isn’t fair.” She said angrily. “Ryan should’ve told you. I don’t care if he was going to last minute, he should’ve told you from the start. This is so fucked up, Everly. They practically planned a fucking sneak attack on you!”

                “Don’t be mad at Ryan.” I told Julianne as her eyes faltered. “I don’t want to drag you into this. I’m sorry.”