Chapter 21

Chapter 21

                There were precisely fifteen minutes before the New Year began.

                I spotted Ryan by the end of the staircase, texting with aggravation. His eyebrows were furrowed together in frustration as he tapped the screen of his phone with immense pressure. “God, why isn’t he fucking answering?” I heard Ryan curse aloud before giving up and shoving his phone back into the pocket of his dress pants.

                “Why isn’t who answering?” I asked, crossing my arms over my chest as I caught the attention of Ryan.

                Ryan seemed startled to see me before he sighed and shook his head. “No one.” Ryan lied, averting his gaze from mine. “Don’t worry about it.”

                “Jace, right?” I answered for him.

                Ryan’s eyes immediately snapped up as a wave of panic washed over his face. “W-What?” he stuttered. “Everly-.”

                “Don’t even try to cover up right now.” I snapped. “I know the reason why you wanted me out so fast before.”

                Ryan blinked, gulping as he stood up straighter. “You do?”

                I rolled my eyes. “It’s obviously because Christiana is here.” I stated. “You wanted me gone so badly because you thought I’d get upset if I found out that Christiana is the daughter of the man that my mother is dating. But, don’t worry, Ryan. I don’t see why you made such a big fuss about it. I understand that Jace and Christiana had a past, and it doesn’t bother me. They’re broken up, so why should it?”

                Ryan’s expression faltered as he looked at me with confliction evident in his eyes. Ryan gnawed on his lower lip as he rubbed his forehead with exasperation. “How could this happen?” he muttered to himself before turning back to face me. “Look, Everly, it’s not that.”

                I frowned, stepping forward as I raised an eyebrow with irritation. “What?” I asked. I thought I had it all figured out, but I didn’t. Ryan was still hiding something from me, and he wasn’t willing to tell me what it was. “I’m tired of playing games, Ryan. Tell me what’s going on, right now.”

                Suddenly, the sound of a fork drumming against a wine glass caught the attention of all of the guests. The lights dimmed and a spotlight was shone on the top of the grand staircase, where George and his family stood. “Ladies and gentlemen, thank you all for attending my family’s New Year’s party tonight. We’re incredibly happy that we have all of our family and friends tonight in one gathering.” George raised his glass as everyone applauded. “Since there are roughly eight minutes before the New Year starts, my family and I have a few words for you all.”

               Everyone hushed as George cleared his throat, preparing to speak. “This year has truly been one of the best for me. Business has bloomed unexpectedly, and I can honestly only give one person that kind of credit. Evelyn, could you come up here please?” George paused as the spotlight went to my mother, who was standing near the end of the staircase. My mother blushed under the attention of everyone as George went down the stairs to help her up, putting his arms around her waist before moving on. “Not only did Evelyn save my business, but she saved me. I didn’t know it was possible for me to fall in love again, especially judging from my previous marriage, but Evelyn made it possible. Thank you Evelyn, I truly do love you.”

                As soon as George concluded, everyone stood up on their feet to clap. As my eyes roamed around the dark room, I could see that some people were blotting their teary eyes because of George’s heartfelt speech.