Prologue

Prologue:

A whole hearted laugh escaped from Evelyn's lips as she speedily darted across the forest with Richard a few paces behind her.
Her hair whipped wildly as she tried her best to outrun him, but just when Evelyn was about to turn a corner, she was pulled back by two strong hands placed on her waist.

Richard's voice whispered in her ear. "And where do you think you're going?" She giggled and turned around in his hold to face him.

"Oh, just nowhere..." Her sweet voice replied accompanied by a smug smile.

"Ah, so you weren't trying to get away from me?" He inquired. A look of faked surprise masked her face.

"What? Me run away from you? Never."

"Good, because I wouldn't have let you go, anyway." He said as he pulled her close for a hug. The two have known one another since they were young... and even then they were inseparable. With his large hands, Richard encased Evelyn's lovingly as they walked back the way they came.

Hidden away behind a tree, an old enchantress admired the couple. They were infatuated with one another and anyone could see it. The enchantress has grown fond of the two in the past year as she would often find them strolling in the woods together. A smile crept onto her face in remembrance before she entered her cabin once more.

Evelyn enjoyed her walks with Richard since it was a break from all the hard work and chores she had on the farm. When the two reached the edge of the farm, Richard suddenly came to an abrupt stop. Evelyn turned towards him with a questioning gaze. His actions were confusing to her, not to mention concerning.

"Evelyn... I... I wanted to, um, I wanted to ask you something..." Richard stuttered over his words which caused Evelyn to raise an eyebrow in confusion. Not wanting to question him, Evelyn gave an encouraging smile and nodded her head, urging him to continue.

Richard fiddled in his pockets before he bent down on one knee and revealed a glistening diamond ring. He hadn't even said a word and Evelyn was already nodding her head vigorously. His eyes lit up as he gazed lovingly at the woman before him.

"Will you marry me?"

"Yes, yes and yes! A million times: yes!" She called out in joy as she jumped and hugged the man she loved so dearly. Richard embraced her with vice-like arms, never letting go as he spun Evelyn around with a smile that would never leave his face. Evelyn laughed as she couldn't wait to tell her parents. This was to be the start of her new life with the man she loved.

***
Two weeks had passed since the engaged couple informed Evelyn's parents about the proposal, and just like she expected, they were thrilled. Everyone was in high spirits, yet those joyous moments they shared seemed so far away now as Evelyn was busy tending to her ill parents.

A sudden sickness befell the village and there seemed to be no cure. Both her parents were coughing profusely while she dampened her mother's forehead with a wet cloth. After another coughing fit, they both fell into another restless slumber.

The doctor had come by to check on them and while he was busy with them, there was another knock at the door. Evelyn hurried to answer it without a second of hesitation. When she opened it she was surprised to see Richard's father, her soon to be father-in-law.

He had a grave expression on his face which caused Evelyn's stomach to churn with unease.

"Evelyn, I-" The man's voice broke as his eyes began to glisten,"I'm afraid I have some... some bad news. Richard, m-my boy, he... he passed away." Tears started to well up in her eyes as she began muttering. "What? How? Why?"