f i v e

"Jungkook, go talk to her."

"Why?"

"Just do it."

"No."

Yoongi sighed tiredly, and rubbed his eyes. "You can't just give her a blanket and then never talk to her again. That's not right."

"Watch me", Jungkook stubbornly answered. "I can."

Shaking his head, Yoongi sighed again. "Just talk to her, alright? I think it would be good for you. Plus, she seems nice. Give it a chance."

After a few seconds of silence, Jungkook slowly nodded, but with a sour look on his face.. "...Alright then." He rose from his chair, and began to look around the cafeteria, in search of Nari. However, he wasn't able to find her. "Maybe she's outside... gosh, so much trouble", he mumbled. He told his friends a quick "later", and went outside. And what he saw there, would confuse him for a long time.

What he saw, was Nari standing up for herself against a few of the meanest girls in the school. And while doing so, she looked like a queen. A fierce one, at that. That fiery look in her eyes, even Jungkook felt slightly intimidated. It got him so shocked, he could only watch with his mouth slightly agape.

When the girls had left Nari, her eyes wandered around until she spotted Jungkook. At that moment, her whole demeanour changed in just a split second, and her appearance morphed from the image of a fierce queen into one of a spring fairy. She didn't resemble a fairy because she was exceptionally beautiful, but rather because she radiated freshness and youth. Their eyes met, and Nari smiled softly.

"Your fans bothered me a bit, but it's alright. They think I'm crazy, though. Not that I care", she said with scintillating eyes, and Jungkook's eyes dilated. "Fans?" What did she mean by that? He didn't understand. Sure, he was popular, and sure, he was handsome, and sure, girls liked him. But fans?

"Yeah, fans." Putting his train of thoughts to a halt, she elaborated a bit further. "You know, these girls who like you? Off screen, they're vicious. They told me that I should return the blanket, but I didn't want to. I also should stay away from you, but", a cheeky smile appeared on her face, "I don't want to either. What brings you here, anyway?"

That was the second time, or actually the third time, Nari shocked him. She was completely different from what he had thought. He had seen her as a weak, fragile, small girl, who always seemed to shiver. He'd thought she'd need someone to protect her. Not that he'd protect her, he was too lazy to do so. But instead, in front of him stood a vigorous, volitional woman. Upon seeing the fire in her eyes, he scolded himself for thinking she was feeble and frail.

"Uh – I just thought, why not talk to you?"

"Oh? So you, one of the most popular boys in the school, came all the way here, from the school cafeteria, to talk to me, the 'loner'? Out of your own free will? Disregarding the fact that you value your status?"

"...Yes?"

Nari let out a laugh. "Come on, I'm not stupid. As much as I'd like to talk to you, you were clearly forced. Come again when you really want to speak to me." She turned around to walk away. Jungkook bit his lip, contemplating his options. He could let her walk away, but deep down, he was intrigued by this girl who seemed full of surprises.

She had already walked away a few steps, until a voice told her to stop. She twirled around and raised an eyebrow inquisitively. "What's it?"

Jungkook gulped a bit and averted his eyes. "It's true, my friend Yoongi forced me to go talk to you, but... I actually do want to talk to you. I mean – you seem interesting, so..." His voice trailed off, and a lopsided smile had been painted on his face. It was against his pride to do this, but nevertheless, he'd decided he couldn't let Nari just walk away.

And that was the start of a very interesting friendship.

a/n while i was reading this out loud to my brother with a very strange accent, i noticed that it said "them" instead of "you" in the part where she explained "fans".... which changed the whole meaning of the sentence. oops.