s e v e n

A/N: it's a miracle

Nari burst out in laughter. "Protect me? Jeon, are you falling for me?", she mocked him. Jungkook's eyes widened and he scratched the top of his head. He seemed to be pondering for a moment. "Nah, don't think so." Nari just shrugged. "Whatever floats your boat."

'Does she really not care? Nari's emotions are so hard to read...' The tall boy spaced out for a moment, to be brought back to reality by a firm pat on his shoulder. "Jeon, let's go somewhere else. I've had quite enough of this park. Arcade?" Jungkook nodded; he liked the arcade. He wasn't aware of the fact that Nari liked the arcade too, but you're never too old to learn.

And thus, they went on their way, occasionally getting distracted by his straying thoughts about Nari's question. Was he in fact falling for her? Was he reading too much into it? Was he overthinking this? He probably was. He cursed himself for getting influenced by a question that had been asked in such a not serious manner. He knew he would pay extra attention to the way he felt towards Nari and he knew that he would focus on his feelings so much that he'd convince himself that he liked her. He also knew that he'd have to abstain from having those thoughts. So, he did what he'd always done: he locked those thoughts away and went on with his life as if they'd never existed.

When the duo was done in the arcade, they decided that it had been enough for the day. The sun had started to set and they had school the next day. Nari was incredibly draconian when it came to her homework and sleeping schedule, especially on schooldays, while Jungkook? Not so much. However, he had left some of his bad habits like not doing schoolwork behind him. Not because he wanted to, but rather because Nari forced him with statements like "do you want to end up in a ditch because you failed high school? No? That's what I thought." And even though Jungkook would've been able to graduate high school without doing the required work, although it wouldn't have been with flying colours, he still listened to her for an unknown reason. His other group of friends had tried it too, but they hadn't succeeded.

Speaking of his group of friends; Nari had become considerably closer with them, too. It wasn't a weird thing however, seeing that Jungkook stuck to her like glue. She had become especially close with Namjoon and Hoseok; Namjoon because they shared multiple interests, and Hoseok because he was just such a ball of sunshine and he was so sweet to her that she practically couldn't resist. She needed more sunlight and vitamin D anyway, so Hoseok was a great substitute. Jungkook could sometimes whine about Nari's friendships with the other boys, and often he would drag her away from the others.

Each day Jungkook spent with Nari, he learned something new about her. Every day, the incomplete puzzle would make more and more sense. However, one crucial piece of information was still missing. He got information about things concerning he didn't know existed, but he had one solid question that was yet unanswered: why did she shiver so much? He never commented on it except for that time when he gave her his most comfortable and warm blanket, and he'd wanted to ask her about it, he did. Jungkook was just... a bit scared? It was unknown if the cause was something concerning, because as far as he knew, warm clothes didn't help but Nari also didn't have to see a doctor often. The darkness surrounding this issue was bothering him, very much so. So much, that he couldn't lock away his question.

After a few days of being in two minds, he decided he'd ask Nari. Currently their lesson was almost finished, and Nari was rounding up jotting down her notes. Jungkook's mind had been too clouded with doubt to pay attention to the class; he'd copy Nari's notes later. While he was thinking about that - lately he'd been thinking way too much, and Nari would joke that his head was about to explode because it couldn't handle it - the bell rang, and Jungkook made his way over to Nari while chanting "Nari, Nari, Nari, I got a question." The girl raised her eyebrows, signalling for him to continue. "Yeah well, I was wondering - I think everyone who knows you is wondering - why you shiver so much? Is your body temperature just weird or are you ill or-" He was cut off by a raised hand. Nari chuckled and shook her hand. "Stop talking for a second, Jeon. Let me speak if you want to know the answer." Jungkook just huffed and nodded. "I'm anaemic, and in my case, it's because of decreased red blood cell production which is caused by a deficiency of iron. The doctor has given me this syrup with iron in it but it's disgusting, so I don't take it." The boy in front of her processed the information for a moment, before frowning. "Nari! You should take the things the doctors give you! You must get better!" Usually Nari would scold Jungkook, and it wouldn't be the other way around. "I thought you were more responsible than that! Take care of yourself." Nari scrunched up her face, which looked very cute to Jungkook, and shook her head. Suddenly her eyes lighted up, and a cheeky smile appeared on her face. "You know, I have the syrup with me. You can taste it; it won't do any harm. After that, if you think it's edible, you can tell me again."

Let's just say that a lot of water was drunk after that and that Jungkook promised to never say a word about it again.