Chapter 4 - Thank You Remus

"So what do you think?" Hermione asked critically.

"I think the Hogwarts train leaves early tomorrow morning and you are, in no universe that I have any power over, going to find yourself confronting a Weasley. I think you are one hell of a woman for not hexing him on the spot, and I think running away was the most mature thing you could have done in that situation." Remus's reply was exactly what she needed to hear.

"But what about the Ministry's Marriage Law?"

"Look at me, Hermione, you are not going to marry that arrogant, self-centred, cheating Weasley. I will marry you myself if that is the only other option." The twinkle in his eye made her realise that he was serious. That was that then. She wouldn't be marrying Ron.

"I don't think I quite want to get in a fight with Tonks for you though," she joked. "She'd be a little more invested than myself and I reckon I would lose miserably."

"That I don't doubt," Remus chuckled. "I'll send an owl back to the burrow telling them you're safe but would prefer no visitors. You are welcome to stay until tomorrow if you want."

"That would be wonderful, thank you."

+++++++++

"Where is she?" Ron shouted, as soon as the Floo powder had landed him at 12 Grimmauld Place.

"Can I help you with something?" Remus looked up, surprisingly sarcastic considering the situation. It was almost as if he was toying with Ron.

"I need to talk to her. I know she's here. We got the owl." His bloodshot eyes squinted with distaste.

"If you read it, Ron, you would know she doesn't want any visitors. I'm sure that was made quite clear." His witty tone was beginning to get under the skin of the boy attempting to barge round Remus. "I wouldn't do that if I were you." His words were stern and unforgiving, while his arm was blocking any entry to the hallway that would undoubtedly lead to the heart-broken girl.

Almost snarling, Ron took an angry breath, reached for his wand, and concurrently planned something foul in his mind.

+++++++++

Hermione was just reading her mauled copy of Hogwarts: A History (the one she had lent to Tonks, endeavouring to convince her that it was truly wonderful) in an attempt to ground herself, when she heard a smash. She almost jumped out of the skin.

SMASH! This one was louder.

She slammed the book closed and eased the creaking bedroom door open, hoping to confirm Remus's safety. Wand in hand, she peaked her nose around the corner. Empty.

Tiptoeing further forward, she did her best to avoid the squeaking floorboards.

If that's Ron, I swear by Merlin I WILL hex him!

Something grabbed her from behind. She tried to squeal but a hand muffled her cries. It picked her up as she tried to shake herself free. It dragged her backwards into the room behind her.

"Shhh," it said. She couldn't recognise the voice. "Calm down, it's me."