Chapter 8 - All Aboard The Hogwarts Express

Bring their arms up to check their watches, Hermione and Remus saw that they were on time.

10:30

They loaded their bags above their heads and sat down in an empty compartment. Remus had taken Hermione into the teachers' area at the front of the Hogwarts Express. He knew Ron was not a prefect, so had no reason to be anywhere near them. Once they had settled down, he looked up at her.

"So... Sirius?" He was genuinely curious.

"What about him?"

"I think we need to talk about him."

+++++++++

10:45

"We're going to be late!" Molly yelled as her children arranged themselves on the train station. "Only three of you left... I've been doing this for goodness knows how long, and no one has learnt to leave the house on time." Ginny was busy gawking at Harry as Ron walked into her.

"Move, you two," Ron aggravatedly added.

"You just want us to move so you can try to find Hermione. Well I will take my time, thank you very much," Ginny snapped.

+++++++++

"What about him?" Hermione repeated.

"You and him, my dear." Remus was getting more and more awkward as he tried to continue. Thankfully there was a knock on the cabin door. Remus flashed a look at the door and then back to her. Carefully raising his wand, he rose and opened the door.

"Severus? Can I help with something?" he asked, more confused than anything.

"Ah, Remus." It seemed the awkwardness was far from gone.

"Yes?"

"I saw Miss Granger in the teachers' area, and, I..." Snape was only making it worse for himself.

"You can continue your round of the train knowing that she is with me. She's not exactly one to break the rules, now, is she?" Remus added a polite nod and attempted to close the cabin door.

"Actually, Remus, I was... wanting to return a book to her."

"A book?" Remus was genuinely shocked by the lack of arguing that Snape provided. Instead, he was calm, almost smiling, and almost friendly.

"Yes."

Dubiously, Remus continued. "What book?"

"Portland's Premonition Potion, I assume," Hermione breathed, sounding very fed up with Remus's paranoia. "Remus, he's clearly not with Ron so just let him in." She raised her eyebrows and Remus let him in. "What did you think of it?" She turned to face her potions professor, wide eyed. He perched on the seat next to her.

"Marvellous," he smiled at her, "but what is this I hear about a Weasley? Trouble in paradise? That can't be too convenient."

"Lay off, Severus," Remus interjected, "I think we've had our fair share of your spite."

"I'm not being spiteful. It's just that I saw Weasley and Potter scouring the train not a moment ago. So what's going on?" Snape knew he had some power over the situation and was using it to his advantage.

"That's a story for another day. Are you going to help me or not?" Hermione replied bluntly.

He got up, placing the book in his seat, and exited the cabin. Upon closing the door, he turned to Hermione, "I'll see what I can do," he smirked.