Chapter 24 - An Odd Sort Of Party

POP! She apparated to 12 Grimmauld Place to find it deserted. As quickly as she arrived, she left.

The Burrow it is then...

POP! And she was gone.

+++++++++

Strange muggle music was playing in the background of loud chatter. Hermione arrived in the empty, shadowy kitchen, one room away from everyone. She turned to the punch bowl to get herself a drink. Drinking today is most definitely a necessity, she thought.

"Well I wasn't expecting to see you," Sirius said, upon entering and helping himself to a generous glass of raspberry punch.

"I was looking for you," she smiled weakly, "you weren't at Grimmauld Place, so I assumed you were celebrating with Harry."

"Well it must be something important if you dare to step within 50 feet of Ron," he chuckled, offering her a glass.

"I wanted to make sure we were ok," she replied seriously, not taking her eyes off of him. "We are, aren't we?"

He immediately put the glass down and wrapped his arms around her. "Of course we are. What's going on? Is everything ok?"

She huddled herself into his chest, resting her head on him. "Yeah, I've just had a lot going on," she said, rubbing her hand on his shoulder, "and I don't think I've been treating you too well..."

"Hermione, you've been the perfect fiancée," he kissed her forehead, "well, as long as you're not shagging Snape, that is."

"For crying out loud," she broke the hug, in a fit of giggles, "I, Hermione Jean Granger, am not shagging Severus Snape."

"Oh, not that again, Hermione." It was Remus, who too, was looking for more punch. "I've heard that before. I thought you were staying with him this weekend?"

"Nope, smell me if you have too, because I think you will find-"

"-His scent is actually all over you. That's how I knew you were here. And that's how I know you've made your decision. One, as I said before, I will support. I'll make sure no one disturbs you while you do what must be done." His smile was sympathetic. He was still recovering from the full moon; he was still a broken man. As promised, he returned to the party, keeping an eye on the door.

"Care to explain what's going on?" Sirius whispered into her ear from behind as she sipped on her drink.

"Remus thinks I'm low-key shagging Snape. He also knows I very much like you. He told me that I should make a choice and stick with it. You know, cut ties with one of you," she explained. "I really wanted to tell him about your little visit, but he's got enough on his plate as it is. All he can ever smell on me is Snape because I'm staying in his room until the Weasley situation dies down."

"But you and Snape aren't shagging?" he eyed her with a meddlesome suspicion.

"Goodness, no," she responded, shocked at his blatant interrogating, "I've spent many a night in his room, but I'd never think to do that."

"Ok then," he said, accepting her words, "I trust you. So do you wanna dance?" His tone changed so suddenly. As soon as he had cleared up the previous issue, he no longer cared.

"Far from it. I haven't danced in years, and I'm not about to embarrass myself, especially in front of Lavender."

"She's not here, she cancelled on Ron last minute. He's sulking in the corner," he encouraged her, nuzzling her ear gently.

"Dear Merlin, that's embarrassing. I guess we could cause some trouble if you want," Hermione smirked.

"That's not the Hermione I know," he breathed, "who are you and what have you done with my future wife?"