Chapter 18 - Sacred 28

"So," Draco prompted, once they were enveloped in the closed drapes of his bed. Though they were alone in the dungeons, it seemed necessary to create another layer between them and the outside world. "He's the new guy in your life, eh, Granger?"

She was sitting cross-legged at the base of the bed, scribbling in her favourite quill, as she rushed to make a note before she forgot it. "Yep, though promise me you won't tell anyone? It's not exactly official."

"Of course."

"What about you, if not Pansy, then who?"

Draco's face dropped from a chirpy boy to a suddenly serious man. "My father sent me an owl at lunch. He says Daphne Greengrass has got a younger sister. I have to meet her family this weekend for a proposal."

Concern spilt across her eyebrows. "Oh, I'm sorry. It's my fault, isn't it? He doesn't want me near you."

"It was bound to happen. Her father has some great position at the ministry."

"And I assume she's a pureblood?"

"The purist. Sacred 28."

"What's a Sacred 28?"

"Haha," he was back to the Draco she entered the room with. "The Sacred 28 are the only 28 pureblood families left in Britain. Abbott, Avery, Black, Bulstrode, Burke, Carrow, Crouch, Fawley, Flint, Gaunt, Greengrass, Lestrange, Longbottom, Macmillan, Malfoy, Nott, Ollivander, Parkinson, Prewett, Rosier, Rowle, Selwyn, Shacklebolt, Shafiq, Slughorn, Travers, Weasley, Yaxley. Someone hasn't been doing their homework, Granger. I expected better."

"You must be the only one paying attention in Binns' lessons," she chortled.

"I've had to do some research. You know, to find an eligible girl. My father also sent me a list of things I need to do ready for Saturday. There is this whole ritual that purebloods have to do with rings or something." He got the letter out of his pocket, followed by a ring. "We all have a right of passage, son" he read in a monotone, mocking voice, "it is time you were to marry, and your mother and I believe Miss Greengrass would be suitable. Upon meeting her this weekend, you will dine alone, and present her with the enclosed ring. It is a priceless family heirloom, so you will not lose it. If it were to fall into the wrong hands, such as those less pure, the shame on the family would be vast. I trust you know that. That last bit was aimed at you."

"Can I see it?" she asked curiously.

The boy held out a bold, metallic ring with a 'M' inscribed in italics. "Don't touch it though. It could quite possibly be warded against you." As she studied it, she noted delicate engravings all around the sides. If it weren't so worn out or intolerant to her, she might have actually thought it was rather pretty. "What are you smiling at?"

"Everything makes a little more sense now."

"What are you talking about, Granger? Have you gone completely insane?"

"Quite possibly." She was practically glowing.

"But you're not going to tell me why?"

"What else do you know about marriage outside of the Sacred 28?" She beamed, pulling her hand out of her pocket, revealing a similar looking ring.

"If I were to ever present a ring like this to a muggle-born I reckon my father would...I mean, if any of us were to ask for the hand of someone not...especially with a ring like this...they would be spitting in the face of everyone who stands for-" He noticed the ring. "DEAR MERLIN, GRANGER! Where did you get that from?!" Grabbing her hand, he pulled her towards him. "HOUSE OF BLACK!" He read. "WHAT?"

"Keep your voice down. People will be coming back from lessons anytime soon."

"You better tell me everything, Granger. Every. Damn. Thing!" he demanded, somewhere between shocked, alarmed and horrified.