7

"So what did they say?"

Cas said as they walked up the sidewalk and into the motel room.

"They said that they didn't do it. They saw black smoke flood the room and then they woke up with blood on their clothes."

Sam answered.

"Oh. So it was a demon."

Cas confirmed.

"Yeah. Apparently there are demons who care about the vessels they control."

Dean shrugged.

"Maybe they want the vessel to be in pain in a different way."

Cas offered.

"That makes sense. But what about the dude who actually did kill their family?"

Sam asked, confusion bleeding out his words.

"Maybe he was possessed by the demon too."
Dean said.

"I know souls in Hell change into demons but six months isn't long enough for a soul to change. Is it?"

Cas asked, looking at Dean.

"How the hell would I know?"

"You were in hell. Before I dragged you out."
"Doesn't mean I know. Obviously a long time, if I never changed into a demon."

"Well, not everyone is as strong as you, Dean."

Sam offered.

"So maybe it's the same dude maybe not. Either way we have a demon on our hands now."

"And no way to summon it."
Sam sighed.

"Because we don't have a family. Right?"
Cas asked.

"Yes, Cas."

Dean confirmed.

"Sorry, only checking."

"It's fine, Cas."
Dean opened the motel door and everyone filed inside.

"God, I am tired."

Dean flopped down on one of the beds and shut his eyes.

"When I was a human I was very tired also. I know, I understand how you feel."

Castiel said, sitting on the edge of the bed Dean claimed.

"That's great Cas, thanks."
Dean mumbled. Sleepy letters sloppily coming out.

"I understand hunger also."

Dean sighed deeply, sleepily.

"I'm glad."

"Hey Cas, why don't we go out for a walk? Let Dean rest."

"Alright."

Cas got up and followed Sam out of the motel room. Before the hollow wood berrier clicked shut, Cas could hear Dean's soft snoring.

"Sam why does Dean not let me help with any cases, recently?"

Sam had his hands stuffed into his pockets as they walked. Cas' arms swayed slightly. His hands balled into fists.

"He's scared you'll get hurt."

"I've already been hurt in every possible way, Sam."

"Exactly. Dean may blame himself. He doesn't want you to be hurt anymore. Ever again. He wants you to be safe."
"How is staying in the car safer than being with you guys?"

"Dean and I bring about the danger, Cas."
"Not really. I could get kidnapped or killed in the car. If i'm by one of yours side, you can save me."

"He...I don't know, Cas. All I know is that's the reason. He wants you around but he wants you safe. He's trying his best."

Cas watched his feet as he walked. Making sure each step he took looked normal.

"I'm not normal. At all. Because I'm an angel. Not a human. Even though I once was a human- I don't remember that much about how it all felt."

"Hey."

Sam stopped walking and turned to Cas. He gripped his shoulder and turned him to face him.

"Dean understands that you aren't a human. He understands that you don't. Sometimes he forgets though. And he's sorry he does. He puts more pressure on you than you need. He doesn't like saying sappy things, so I'll say it for him. He really loves you. And so do I. We are family Castiel. And sometimes, family gets mad at each other. But we always, always love each other."

Cas nodded.

"I know."
"Good."

Sam let his arms drop.

"Let's head back. I'm tired too. It's late."

"Yeah.."

Sam playfully punched Cas' shoulder.

"Don't look so down."

The corners of Cas' lips twitched into a small smile.

"There ya go, buddy."

Sam turned around and started walking back to the motel room. Cas hesitated for only a second before turning and jogging to catch up to Sam.