Opening Ceremony (Part One)

"TODAY IS THE DAY!"

The first morning of the tournament started with Ness, Toon Link, and Villager repeatedly screaming those four words down every single street in the village, their small, yet fast, feet kicking up gravel with every step.

Peach came out of her dwelling and earnestly stared at the spirited kids like a mother watching her children play in the yard. Even though it was early morning, the princess already appeared stunning with her hair flawlessly falling from a tight ponytail, not a single sign of grogginess in her eyes. However, the sudden sound of shattering glass caused her hair to stand on end and drew her attention to the house next to her.

Inside, Dark Pit seethed at his white-winged counterpart, readying another glass to throw at him.

"C'mon, Pittoo, don't throw the dishes! I wouldn't have woke you up if it wasn't for a good reason!" Pit tried to soothe the angry angel, standing on the couch with his hands frantically trying to shield his body from harm.

"Stop calling me that!" Dark Pit yelled, hurling the glass cup at Pit, yet narrowly missing and hit the couch instead. Pit ducked down to catch the glass before it rolled off the cushion and shattered on the wooden floor below.

"I'm sorry! Just stop throwing things that can take me out of fighting!"

Dark Pit froze, a plate in his hand. His eyes squinted at Pit before looking down at the ground, a sigh escaping his lips.

"Today is the day, right?"

Pit gave a radiant smile in response, his perfect white teeth beaming just as much as him. Overwhelmed with excitement, he could only nod eagerly and let out a few childish giggles.

"Pit! Pittoo!" Palutena's voice was followed by a series of knocks to their front door. "Everything alright in there? What did you break?"

The peppy one of the twins bounced off the couch and charged to the mahogany door, yanking it open.

"Lady Palutena!" Pit greeted, wings outstretched and a grin on his face. "Everything is fine now that Dark Pit knows what today is!"

"Oh, you seem excited for the Opening Ceremony, but Pit, what exactly goes on?"

"That's a surprise!" He winked, pointing finger guns at the Goddess, who chuckled in response.

"Alright, Pit. Just don't be late and same goes for you, Pittoo!" She raised her voice for the second half, earning a loud groan in reply. Giving Pit's hair a quick ruffle, she made her way down the front porch steps and back to her own house, which was next to Peach's.

"Everything alright in there?" The blonde asked, a concerned look on her face. "Do I have to get Master Hand?"

"Oh! No, no that won't be necessary! It's all good now, don't worry! I'm just going to head back to my house." Palutena assured with a smile.

Before she could make it to her place, however, she saw the shaggy blond hair that made her heart strangely flutter slowly walking past her street. He wasn't wearing his under armor chainmail or any of his weaponry, so from Palutena's angle, he looked like a commoner.

Wouldn't hurt to pop in a sentence or two, right? She mentally decided, nodding before walking up behind Link. Giving him a quick tap on the shoulder, he flinched and turned around as fast as a cheetah.

"Palutena!" Link smiled, a small ripple of relief washing over his face. "You sneaked up on me!"

"Oh, apologies, Link," she responded, restraining the sensation of butterflies in her stomach as she giggled out, "I didn't know heroes were so jumpy."