XXXIII

"So I see you didn't come here empty-handed, now did you?" I call over my shoulder, sorting through Shi's pile of assorted items. It's early morning, the interior of the cave moist with dew. If I look out the cave's exit, I can see the hazy sun above millions upon millions of tree tops. This forest seems to stretch on forever, and despite my new help, I can't help feeling hopeless. What is the chance we'll reach the end of it, actually find where Gael's run off to?

I put such thoughts aside, continuing my sorting. My hands brush over a flashlight, Swiss army knife, and a small amount of climbing equipment, along with the canteen Shi had handed me last night. A backpack sits beside the pile, and I zip it open; all that's inside of it, however, is a large coil of rope.

I hear Shi exhale, reaching over my head to snatch the bag up. He begins loading the rest of his things inside, and I just sit and watch him. "It's not much," he says, "but it's enough, I think. Food and water's the hard part."

"Not for you, it can't be," I say, crossing my legs. Shi lifts an eyebrow, his fingers grappled around his canteen as he pauses. I can't help noticing that his arm is quite toned, a strong bicep disappearing into the sleeve of his black T-shirt. "I mean, you're half wolf, aren't you? Doesn't that make you, like, the master of survival in the wild?"

Shi's eyes narrow underneath his glasses as he drops his canteen into his pack. "Faeries are the nature gurus, Gemma," he counters. "My abilities in this form are limited, so, yes, getting food and water is hard. What—you thought the squirrel just came prancing over to me with some sort of death wish?"

For a moment, I let myself chuckle over the imaginary visual of a squirrel "prancing." Then, I move forward, handing Shi his Swiss army knife. "My apologies," I reply. "Common misconception."

"Common misconception or stereotype?" Shi philosophizes, zipping up his backpack and shrugging it on. I follow him to the edge of the cave, and look down at the brief rocky slope underneath us; a careful step or two down, and we'll be on level ground again. "That's like saying all witches turn people into frogs."

"Shi, I'm not stereotyping you," I say as he offers his hand to help me down. I take it, lowering myself to the ridge, using him to balance myself. "Hey—what was the rope in your backpack for?"

"Um," he says hesitantly, his face blanching. He nudges the bridge of his glasses with a finger, starting to head north. I walk at his side, peering at him; he's not much taller than me—in fact, we're roughly the same height. "Well, I brought that to tie myself up, since, you know, I no longer have any official chamber to change in—"

"Why not just go rogue?"

He clearly doesn't know I'm messing with him, because his eyes round out and he coughs with discomfort. Shi squeaks, then turns to me with narrow eyes. "Are you crazy? I got let off with a warning, Gemma, and that was a blessing. I'm not just going to throw that away and land myself in that cell again—"

"I was kidding," I say, brushing his shoulder. "Shi, trust me. I know that's the last thing you'd want to do."

"Good to know someone gets me," Shi replies, a tiny smile playing at his lips. He glances sideways at me, winking.

I return his smile and shove my hands into the pockets of my buffalo jacket, sighing as I kick at a stone in the ground. The grass beneath me is green and prospering, growing over exposed tree roots and discreetly hiding the burrows of rabbits or gophers. Shi and I walk in a sort of awkward silence for a while, my head down as I hop over rotting logs or step over a waddling beetle. I feel Shi's gaze on me, however, and try my best not to blush. My heart still aches, and I can't let myself fall into the same trap I just freed myself of. Just because Shi isn't human, I'm telling myself, doesn't mean he won't turn on me if I let him get close enough.