Chapter 2

"Heleia."

Heleia jumped a bit when she heard the voice of her friend, Flare speaking behind her.

"Tulala ka na naman, marami ka na naman bang iniisip?" she asked her.

She shyly smiled at her friend and nodded her head in response.

She was not exactly spacing out. She just saw a kid inside of the restaurant playing around, that's why she remembered everything the happened to her. The memories of the past replayed like a movie in front of her once again.

She sadly smiled at her friend when Flare sighed heavily. Flare tapped her shoulders.

"Please-"

"Don't live in the past. I know it, I understand." She quickly cut her off.

She smiled at Flare. Flare proceeded to hug her tight.

"Bakit kasi hindi ka nalang bumalik sa Manila? Dun sa homeplace mo? Mayaman ang mga magulang mo—you're rich! You can afford therapy—no, both of your parents are neurologists, they can-"

She quickly let go of her friend, and separated from her hug, and clenched her fists out of anger upon hearing those words from her friend's mouth. Flare looked like she was taken aback by her response.

"You of all people know na hindi nila ako matutulungan sa sitwasyon ko ngayon." She said to Flare.

"Leia-"

"Shut up Flare! Hinding-hindi na ako babalik sa mga magulang ko! I don't want to go back to become their guinea pig again!" she shouted this time.

She shut her eyes tightly as the memories of the past replayed in her mind once again—the torture, the experiments, her parents exploiting her condition like she's not even their own child.

She has a Hyperthymesia, it's a neuropsychology disorder. It's a condition of possessing an extremely detailed autobiographical memory.

She was just eight years old when she knew that she can recall almost every day of her life, the places, the things, the people, the sounds that she heard and even the dress that she wore from that day, she can remember every single thing, every detail—all of it.

Her parents loved her since then but when they found out about her rare condition, they just changed in a snap of a finger. They became interested in her condition. She was just shocked they would bring her to their office—something that they didn't, and never did before they found out about her condition.

They'll record everything that she does every day and review it every Sunday with her. They'll keep on asking her questions like what were the clothes that she wore in the past, what words they said in the past to her—in detail even. She can remember everything, but it doesn't mean she's smart, she couldn't use her rare condition in her school because of some unknown reasons.

She was okay with that set up until she noticed that the parents she once knew are no longer there... they're no longer the parents who loved her so dearly. They were more focused on her condition than her. They really didn't care about her as a daughter anymore—no, not even a person. They never called her 'sweetie' like they always used to in the past. They called her Patient-HSAM. And because of those things, she also lost interest in her parents, and didn't see them as one anymore.

It was the day of her seventeenth birthday when she dodged all of their questions. In that same day, her parents started acting very weird towards her. They became vicious, strict, and very ruthless towards her. Her parents locked her up in her room and they even hired a tutor so that she would only stay at home to learn. They limited everything.