Chapter 9

After that encounter. Heleia just left Kalev outside of the hospital without explaining anything to him.

It's better off that he won't know anything.

"Heleia."

Heleia turned around when she heard Flare's voice, when she saw her face full of worry she automatically frowned.

"Ano'ng problema?"

"A-Ano..."

"Hmm?"

She saw her bite her lower lip. Flare approached her and also gave her paper. Her brow furrowed but she didn't ask anymore and instead looked at it.

As she read what was written on that paper, her eyes gradually widened. Her chest also heaved when she read the last line of the letter.

"What's the meaning of this?!" she couldn't stop screaming. Flare seemed surprised by her scream because she closed her eyes tightly. How could she not scream?! The content of the letter is that her daughter will be taken off life support and the medication will be stopped if she still cannot pay their hospital bill and the hospital is only giving a one-week grace period to them to settle the bills!

Her eyes widened as she looked at Flare. Flare bit her lower lips and stared at her worriedly.

"The hospital bill is too big, Leia... G-Gusto kitang tulungan... I really do but I really don't have any money right now..."

She bit her lower lip and closed her eyes tightly. Over one hundred thousand pesos will be paid to the hospital, where can she get that amount in just one week?! She can't even ask anyone for help because she has no record here in the barangay she lives in! People here don't even know her true identity!

She doesn't have an Identification Card with her, she doesn't have a barangay ID, nothing! Walang-wala!

She closed her eyes and touched her forehead and took a deep breath. What should she do?

Hindi pwedeng alisin ang life suppott ng kanyang anak. She cannot let them take away the oxygen—the only thing that's helping her daughter breathe!

"Heleia..."

"W-What should I do Flare? H-Hindi ko kakayanin pag nawala sa'kin ang aking anak. I'll go crazy!"

Her eyes clouded with tears.

"Heleia..."

She tearfully looked at Flare. He was looking far away with a frown.

"What is that?"

"What if... What if you ask help to baby Fenette's father?"

Her eyes widened. He automatically stood up and walked away.

"I clearly told you that he's not my r-pist, it is entirely impossible that he is the father of my child."

"Okay then! Hindi siya ang tatay ng iyong anak! but he's definitely the type of person who would help you! That man, despite not being the person who s-xually assault-d you, he still looked for you! He feels responsible for not being able to protect you that night! I know that it may sound but he's guilty and you need to use that for your daughter's sake! Kalev is rich! Look at your daughter Heleia."

She looked at her daughter. Hindi niya alam, siguro pagod, frustration, lungkot at stress, ay bigla na lamang siyang naluha.

"Can you handle seeing your child be taken off life support?"

She quickly shook her head at Flare's question to her. She covered her mouth to stop the sobs that wanted to escape from her mouth.

"If you can't... Put your pride aside first, it's for your daughter's sake. Sometimes reaching out for someone's help is not bad especially when an innocent life is at stake, lower down your pride and do this small sacrifice as a mother, Heleia."

--

Kalev's

It's been five days since Kalev last saw Heleia in the hospital. Her friend was admitted at the hospital and as a respect, he gave him space. He can't bother her too much, she's stressed now and he shouldn't add to that. He shouldn't give her more reasons to hate him.

Kalev's meditation stopped as he lay on his bed when his cell phone suddenly rang. He took it from the table without leaving the bed. He quickly answered that call when he saw that it was Michael who was calling.

"Yo."

"Yo. What's up with your voice bro? Are you sick?"

He shook his head as if he could see him.

"Nope. You called?" What is it?"

"It's about that guy." Michael said, his eyebrows quickly furrowed as confusion struck him.

"That guy?" he asked Michael.

"Yes, that guy that you were asking me to look for. Wait, what was his name again? –oh! Here it is! W-Whinlan? Oh! Whinlan del Guerrero! What a weird ass name."

His eyes widened, his grip on his cellphone tightened.

"What is it?! Where is that son of a bitch now?!"

"Hey! Calm down bro! Well... oh, he's now a successful businessman in the United States, he owns a—" he quickly interrupted his speech.

He doesn't care if he becomes president in any part of the world! He just wants to know where that son of the bitch is now!

"Where is he?!" He shouted once again. As calm as he was when he was with Heleia, Kalev is now filled with rage.

"Oh? Are you mad?"

"Michael!" Sigaw niya.

"Yes! He's here in the Philippines! He was last seen in the bar where Heleia worked. Oh, wait. Are those two connected?"

"I'll call you later." That's all he said and quickly dropped the call.

Whinlan...

That son of the bitch destroyed his and Heleia's life and now he's back...

Whinlan was last seen in the bar where Heleia worked three years ago... where everything happened.

What is he planning to do?! What does he want from her?!

He clenched his fist and quickly stood up from his bed.

He was about to leave his room when his cellphone rang. He answered that immediately without looking who the caller is.

"What the hell is it this time Michael?!" he shouted at her but she didn't answer. He frowned.

"Michae—" he was cut off when he suddenly heard Heleia's voice on the other line.

"I-It's me..." Heleia stammered.

Immediately, his eyes widened and he quickly looked at the screen of his cellphone. It was indeed Heleia!

Napa-facepalm siya as frustration struck him. Why didn't he even look at the screen first before he answered the call?!

He yelled at Heleia! he didn't mean to but still!

"H-Heleia?" Nauutal niyang sagot sa tawag.

He quickly brought the cellphone to his ear and listened to the other line.

"C-can we talk?"

He took a sip before speaking again.

"Y-Yeah, sure... where do you want to meet?" Kalev stammered.

"Pupuntahan nalang kita... P-pwede ba 'yon?"

"Sure."

"I'll be there after fifteen minutes..."

"Okay. See you."

"S-See you."

Kalev let out a sigh and shook his head.

For some reason, he's acting like a teenager who just talked with his crush on the phone.

Napailing na lamang siya.

---

NOCTURNALBEAST