f i f t e e n

we walked side by side, neither of us saying a word. the tension was so thick it was starting to make me uncomfortable.

        "so. . ." i began. i didn't even know what to say to her. if i asked her about why she didn't come to school today because that clearly has something to do with the cut on her lip.

        "weather's nice today." i said. it was the only neutral topic i could think of.

        "really jace?" she chuckled as she looked at me. one of her eyebrows arched up in a questioning look. i could'nt help but stare at the cut on her lip instead. it was just there, glaring at me.

        "stop looking at me like that." she said

       "like what?"

       "with pity in your eyes like i'm some damsel in distress. i hate it! so stop it." she yelled, her voice was a bit shaky and that only worsened the anger i had. who was it that had the audacity to lay their hands on this girl? this fragile girl who was already breaking at the seams.

        "i'm sorry," i apologised, looking straight ahead and avoiding ey contact with her. i clenched my jaw to try and restrain myself from showing her that i was fuming inside.

        "i'm sorry," she said quietly beside me. her slim fingers wrapped around my arm. "i know you have your own problems to deal with and you don't need me adding on to it."

         "i don't mind." i admitted. having her hold me like this as her curls tickled my skin seemed to calm me. "being with you distracts me from everything that's going on. i like it. . . being with you."

         "i think i like it too." she looked up to me with her big beady eyes. her words made my heart flutter for a moment before guilt seeped into my heart. was i selfish for wanting to help this girl even if it meant her having to trust me and with time care for me? could i not do this one kind thing before i died?

        i shook my head almost as if i was shaking the thought from my mind. i couldn't over think things now, i was already deep in it.

author's note

Happy Skinny Love Sunday :)