t w e n t y - t h r e e

the car ride back was silent, except for my mother's nervous tapping of her fingers against the dashboard. she was too out of it to drive so I drove instead.

      pulling into the driveway, i was shocked to see midnight waiting.

      "your friend?" my mother asked.

      "yeah," i replied, parking the car and shutting it down.

      "tell her she can stay for lunch." she said before jumping out of the car.

      i watched midnight tense up at the sight of my mother and stumble on her words as my mother greeted her.

      i quickly followed suit and headed over to her.

      "hey you." she said, shoving her hands into the pockets of her faded jeans.

      "my mom said you can stay for dinner." i told her.

      the wind was sending her curls flying in front of her face and i stepped forwards to tuck some of it behind her ears. she leaned into my touch, smiling as i cupped her face.

      she'd covered her bruises with makeup but being this close, i could see the bruises just a little bit.

    i was looking at her brown eyes, trying to find reason. i couldn't continue to drag her down this rabbit hole with me.

      "what?" she asked, clearly uncomfortable under my searching gaze.

      "you're so beautiful. everytime i look at you i can't believe someone as beautiful as you exists in my life." i traced my thumb over her plump lips. "every inch of you is perfection and i want you to know that."

      "jace you're so cheesy." she laughed.

      "i'm just saying what i think." i told her.

       "let's go in before your mother comes out here looking for us."

       she turned on her heel and waited for me to open the door and i followed.

author's note

Thank you for reading, comment your thoughts and leave me a vote 😉