Waiting - Chapter 7

(A/N - Horrible, ugly, short little chapter, but hey, at least it's something right?)

What? How? Are you sure? The questions hung on the tip of my tongue, about to fall out. I took a deep breath and closed my hand around the clear plastic bag. "Just trust me Marley, nothing's going to happen," Mercedes spoke in a soft, persuasive voice, something she had perfected over years of coaxing whatever she wanted out of her mother. "Yeah, I guess. I'll just need to hide it." I knew I shouldn't be this freaked out over such a small thing, this paranoid that someone will find it. After all, what do I care? It's not like Ollie or Mom can do anything. Besides, I was never the star child anyway. "You know what Mercedes, why store it for later when we could use it now?" "Marley, I don't know," Mercedes said, a doubtful look on her face. "You don't know how you'll react to it. While I am all for vertigo, I think we should wait until night before we do anything." I shook my head at her, determined. "Oh come on! What has gotten into you!? Passing up an opportunity to have a little fun?" I teased, wiggling the bag in front of Mercedes's face. "Alright, fine Marley. We can do this. Just lock you door, and make sure no one can hear us."

    Sitting on my bed, we took one last look at each other before we swallowed the pill. And then... Nothing? "I don't feel any different. You feeling anything yet?" "Nope." "I've heard that sometimes it can take a little while for the effects to kick in. Maybe-" Mercedes broke off as her phone began to buzz. We watched as her phone lit up with message after message. "Ugh, it's Haddon. Something happened with his sister, I gotta go." She glanced at me as she picked up her bag and opened up the door. "Have fun in 30 minutes," she called out as she walked out.

    Back in my room, I sat spinning in my chair while staring at the ceiling, my eyes focused on a single point while the rest of the world seemed to become a tornado. I hadn't feel any change yet, maybe I should take a second one, just in case? Maybe, the more of them you take, the quicker the effects? I don't know, maybe I should ask Mercedes. She would probably know. But she's busy right? I mean, with whatever was happening with Haddon, I'm sure she won't have time to reply to me. I should act fast. I walk back over to my bed, and stare at the pouch. "Maybe just one more" I say out loud, hoping for some validation. When none comes, I open the pouch anyway, take another pill out, and swallow it. Closing the pouch, I put it into my desk drawer, and lay on my bed again, waiting.

And now, here's a little something to tide you over until the next chapter...

"Ollie! Stop! Leave me alone!" I scream as Oliver barges into my room, a look of pure fury on his face. "Where is it, Marley. I'm not playing your little games." "I, I don't know what you're talking about," I try to respond with the same anger, but feel like I'm breathing underwater. I watch as he continues to shout at me, his face getting redder and his voice getting louder. For some reason, I just can't comprehend a word coming out of his mouth. It all just seems like gibberish with a slight tinge of upset. Oh hey, maybe this is the vertigo. All of a sudden, I can't stop giggling. Wow, maybe I shouldn't have taken that second one. Crazy. I watch as Ollie grabs my arms and pulls me up, looking right into my eyes for what feels like forever. Finally, he pushes me back down, and I watch as he goes through my desk. What must've been less than a minute feels like an eternity as I'm frozen, unable to react as Ollie continues his rampage. When he finds the bag, he turns back to me, says something in his gibberish language, and leaves. Whoops. I fall back onto my bed, laughing even harder as he slams the door closed on his way out.