Dinner - Chapter 2

Ugh, this light was killing me. It has been about two hours since my mother and Walter left to go pick up Ollie, and Thea is downstairs with Genevieve. I try to sleep again, but my head hurts way too much. I recall last night's events, the drinking, the dancing, the club, and smile. My mom can't control me. I mean, come on. Thea and Oliver did the exact same stuff, and I bet G will end up like us too. Besides, we're rich. We can do whatever we want. I sit up and text Jo, my head throbbing, 'Is your head hurting as much as mine?' and she replies 'Take an alka seltzer, works every time.' I get up slowly, and walk downstairs, where I see Thea playing with Genevieve. "Hey Mars, you feeling better?" Thea asks, "Mom said you were feeling sick." "Yeah, something like that" I reply. "Oh, my, god. You snuck out last night didn't you." Thea says, sounding more accusing than questioning. "What? No I didn't" I say, trying to seem innocent. "Oh I know you did. You can't just get this sick, just like that. You snuck out and you drank." "Look Thea, can I just have an alka seltzer? My head is pounding." Thea sits me down and goes to get me some water. I watch Genevieve play with her dolls on the floor, talking in a different voice for each one of them. She looks up at me and asks me if I want to play, and is even generous enough to say that I can be a princess. No thanks. I ignore her and turn on the t.v. instead, only to have Thea walk in and turn it off. "Marley, you need to avoid the t.v. today, unless you want your head hurting even more, then by all means," she tosses the remote to me "watch." I take my cup and walk upstairs. "Whatever, call me down when mom and Walter get back." I sit down on my bed and get my phone out, but next thing I know I'm asleep.

I wake up a couple hours later to Thea saying that Ollie's home. We both walk out to the stairs and I see Oliver talking to our maid Raisa. Oliver turns to look up at us and Thea shouts out his name, she runs down the stairs to hug him. Me? I hold back a little. I mean, come on. He was stranded on an island for five years. I had thought he was dead. The least he could have done was sent us some type of message, a call, a letter, anything. Instead he just shows up and everyone is happy to see him, as if nothing ever happened. I walk down the stairs and take a good, long look at him. He sees me and turns to hug me, but I don't hug him back. It isn't going to be that easy. I turn away and walk back up the stairs, though I can feel my family's eyes on me. "Well, Oliver, why don't you go clean up and we can get to dinner!" My mom says, trying to break the tension so evident in the room. "Right," Oliver says, and goes up to his room to get ready for dinner. Look, I want to run into his arms, to be held by him, to let him know how much I missed him, but I can't. I try to remind myself that I'm a different person now that everything changed last night, in the club. Just because Oliver is back doesn't mean I'm going to be the sweet innocent eight year old Marley he remembers from before he ... died. No one can control me, especially not Oliver.

We sit down to dinner and you can see how much happier my mother and Walter are. Genevieve doesn't really know Oliver, she was born after he left, (AN – no, she is not Walter's child, Moira was pregnant when the ship sank, which is why Genevieve is only four) but she is just fine having another person to play with. In fact, Oliver has only been back for a couple of hours, and somehow he has spent most of them with Genevieve. Whatever, I don't care. The dinner is normal, with Genevieve talking the whole time other than when she is stuffing her face. She just can't stop talking about how much fun she and Ollie, I can't believe she is already calling him that, had playing with her Barbies. "Ooh mommy mommy guess what else we did!!!" "What did you do Genevieve?" "We played princesses!!!" "Oh my god Genevieve can you just shut up already!" I realized a second later that I had said that. Everyone at the table turns and looks at me. "Marley said a bad word mommy!" "Marley, how about you go to your room." This time it was my mother that spoke. "Mom! Come on, I didn't even do anything!" "This is about way more than that, young lady. I think you should go to your room, before I have to bring up last night's events." She looks at me with a knowing glare. I stand up and walk out, glaring at Thea. She told her. Of course, she would do anything to get me in trouble. I walk up to my room and slam my door. I check my phone and see multiple missed calls and texts from Sierra. 'My parents found out about last night, I think they're calling yours, watch out, etc' the texts went on and on. I texted her back 'Yeah, I know, my mom was a complete and total bitch about it' I throw my phone down and look through my drawers. Found it. I pick up the pill container with two Vertigo pills in it. Mercedes and Jo had given me come of their stash when we had gone to the club. Just as I am about to open the container, there is a knock on my door and my mom opens the door. I shove the container back into the drawer just in time. "Marley, we should talk." Oh here we go. My mom is going to try to give me one of her 'we can work on this, you can improve' talks, and in the end, we will never work on this, we will never improve. "Alright Marley," she begins "I know that you know that what you have been doing lately is wrong, and I don't know if this is some sort of teenage rebellion thing, but I think that now that Oliver is back, we can all work towards fixing this, and we ca-" "Fixing this? Seriously? I'm just some problem that you want to fix. Wow." "Now Marley, hear me out. I know that you went to a club last night, and that is not okay!" I could hear her voice start to rise at the end of her sentence, I was making her mad. Good. "Look, Marley. We are both aware that you have done some stuff lately that is not very acceptable. I am now giving you a chance to change, to start over, now that Oliver is back." "Whatever. If you're done, leave." She got up, looked at me, and walked out. She just doesn't understand.

A PREVIEW OF THE NEXT CHAPTER - I spent the rest of the night in my room, texting Jo and Mercedes. Sierra had gotten her phone taken away from her, but Jo and Mercedes' parents couldn't have cared less. Every once in a while my mother would come to my door, asking me to please come out and join the family, but she was met with complete silence. I asked Jo and Mercedes when we were going out again, and they said they were going to sneak out tomorrow night, which in other words meant that I was going to be sneaking out tomorrow night.