The Party - Chapter Four

"Marley? What are you doing here? How did you get here?" Oliver throws question after question at me, not waiting for me to respond. "Last time I checked, I can make my own choices, and I don't think I need you telling me where I can go or can't go." I say, the alcohol evident in my slurred voice. "Marley, you are not allowed in here. You are way too young." He says, pausing after each word. "Alright, Ollie," I start, emphasizing his name. "Let's make one thing clear. You," I point at his chest and push him away, "have been dead for the past five years. Mom cried with Walter, and Thea and I cried alone. Genevieve wasn't even a year old, and she couldn't have cared less about you. Everyone had someone, but me. Even Thea made some friends who helped her. I had no one. And you think you can just walk straight in and tell me what I can do? Ha," I let out a short, harsh laugh, "good luck with that." He roughly grabs my arm and starts to pull my away. I jerk my arm out of his grasp. He looks at me with this look. I'm getting to him. Good. Suddenly he glances down at his watch, back at me, and then back at his watch. "I have to go." He says under his breath. He starts to walk away, the crowd parting for him. Whatever. I meet up with my friends again, and tell them about what a jerk my brother is. I go to pull the vertigo out of my purse and it's gone. Of course, Oliver took it.

THE NEXT DAY

I wake around ten the next day, and suddenly all the events from yesterday come rushing back to me. The party, the drugs, Oliver. I know he took it. I know. I mean, he was always a thief, shoplifting, pick pocketing, doing whatever he wanted, because after all, he was rich, and he could do anything. I was stupid to think that after five years of being dead, he would be different. I get out of bed, still in my clothes from last night. I got home around two in the morning, but it was totally worth it. I see my high heels thrown by the door, and smile, remembering how drunk I was. I hadn't seen Oliver for the rest of the night, but I was perfectly okay with that. I didn't need him in my life, right? I get ready and walk downstairs, where I see the police talking to my mom and Walter, and Thea sitting on the couch in our living room. Oliver still isn't back, and Genevieve is still asleep. I walk into the kitchen and look for food, settling on a banana. By the time I walk into the living room, the police have left and Oliver has come in. I watch as Thea leaves, going up to her room, and Oliver starts to talk to our mom. "Mom, you can't just let her get away with this." Oliver starts, to which my mother replies, "You just have to leave her alone when she gets like this, Oliver, it's what's best for her." The exchange a few more sentences, speaking too quietly for me to hear, and Oliver walks out. He glances at me when he passes by, but keeps walking. "Marley! There you are!" My mother exclaims, "Why aren't you ready for school yet darling?" Oliver pauses at the door and turns around, watching us. "Well mother, I think I'm going to pass today. I'm not really feeling up to it." I give her an innocent smile and start to walk away. I hear her sigh behind me and Oliver walks out, slamming the door.

AUTHOR'S NOTE – I FEEL SO BAD BUT I HAVE AWFUL WRITER'S BLOCK RIGHT NOW, SO THIS CHAPTER IS EXTREMELY SHORT. I PROMISE THE NEXT ONE WILL BE MUCH BETTER, BUT THIS IS ALL YOU GUYS GET FOR NOW... SO SORRY!

A preview of the next chapter – After spending the day at home, I was ready to go to school again. Not for the learning of course, but for Sierra. I hadn't seen her since the night at the club, and I couldn't wait to tell her all about Oliver's party. Oliver didn't return until much later that day, around five in the afternoon. I know there is something up with him. He's hiding something, and I am going to find out.