Chapter 38

"I asked for Presley," he said angrily. I held my hands out at my sides before I dropped them.

"What did I do to you?" I asked confused as I stepped closer.

"You didn't do anything. You got too close. You stuck your nose where it didn't belong," he glared.

"I found out your dirty little secrets... so what? You wanted me to trust you, that was the way to do it, but no. You pushed me away, treated me like shit, and started sleeping around again because I knew something about you that most people don't know... big deal," Zane was quiet for a moment before he sighed and crossed his arms.

"Did you find out the gender yet?" he asked timidly.

"That no longer concerns you," I said as I rested my hand on my stomach.

"Well... I heard you were thinking about adoption. If that true?" he asked again.

"That doesn't concern you either. See, when you lose my trust, you lose the right to know things about my baby... and you lost me, too; not that you care. You have virtually disappeared. You don't exist in either of our lives and you only have yourself to blame for that. I was resistant from the beginning, but you pushed and pushed to be apart of our lives so I allowed it. You swore up and down that you changed, and you haven't. Like I said before... a snake can shed it's skin, but it's still a snake," I said bitterly. Zane had taken the opportunity to step closer to me. He reached a hand out to touch my stomach but I pushed his hand away and took a step back as I glared at him.

"You don'[t mean that, do you, Dria?" he asked softly as he pulled out the smoldering eyes that have dropped many girls' underwear before. Luckily I was immune to his man-whore ways. The last thing I needed was an STD being transmitted to my baby because of him. I swallowed roughly as my yes watered. I didn't want to cry in front of Zane, but I was just so mad.

"I mean it, Zane. It's not just my life that you're toying with. Why don't you get that? It's not about you... it's not even about me," I said quickly. His hand touched my stomach gently and I froze on the spot. "It's over, Zane," I said sternly as I moved his hand. His eyes went from my stomach to my eyes.

"This is my baby too, Dria," he said in frustration. I shook my head as I took a few steps away from him.

"My baby doesn't have a father... he's dead," I said before I turned to leave.

"Dria, you can't be serious!" he yelled. I paused at the door.

"I am. I don't want you around me or my baby. I will get a restraining order if I have to," I said before I left the room entirely. Once I was back in the hallway, I released a heavy breath. I was shaking. I went into the girls' bathroom and pulled out my phone.

ME: I confronted Zane. Bathroom at the end of the main hallway?

ARIA: Be there in 2...

Aria was there in two minutes flat. She comforted me as best as she could until I calmed down enough to go to class. Paris was smug all day; as if I needed another reason to hate her. Between avoiding Zane and trying not to break down in tears, I was exhausted by the time I got home. I sighed and plopped down on the couch before pulling out my phone and checking my text messages. Tyler started a group text.

TYLER: Ari said Dria would need a mando-cuddle- puddle tonight. What happened with Zane in the music room? Need a hug? :(

PRES: Great! I don't want to be home and Dria's place is kinda my refuge...

CASSIE: Sorry! I have piano and violin till 9 or else I would come. With you in spirit, hun! <3

ARIA: Of course you can't make it, Cas. You've got something better to do, as always... I'll bring the cookie dough ice cream! :)

ME: Thanks guys... and it's okay if you can't come, Cas. Ari is just being grumpy. I'll see everyone tonight.

I exited out of the group text to check my other notifications. I hesitated when it said I had six consecutive texts from Zane. I didn't feel like talking to him right now, but I was curious about what he had to say.

ZANE:

Dria, you can't just pretend I don't exist. I know I messed up but you can't punish me forever...

Dria, you can't just ignore me. I'm still that baby's father whether you like it or not...

I was wrong. I should have never reacted the way I did...

I'm trying not to be like my dad, Dria. Please don't give up on my just yet...

I love you and I was just angry. I'm sorry...

Please open the door...

The last one caught my attention the most. I looked at my phone curiously before I went to open the front door. Zane was standing there with his hands in his pockets. He looked at me when the door opened.

"I didn't think you would open the door," he admitted. He looked tired and guilty, but I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of feeling bad for him.

"And with good reason," I snapped at him as I crossed my arms. "What are you doing here?" I asked. He shrugged and ran a hand through his hair, tugging at it as he did so.

"I'm an idiot," he started.

"I know that, but continue," I said slowly, opening the door a bit wider. He sighed and rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. "At first, I just needed space to process everything that was going on with my dad coming back, but then I hear that Martin's hanging around and spending the night and stuff. I know you two are together. I got mad,,, and jealous. You're the first real relationship I've wanted to have work out since my mom died and I was losing you to that stupid jock," he explained. I sighed and let him inside the house.

"You are an idiot," I said. I faced him after closing the door and re-crossed my arms over my chest. "Tyler is a friend... a really good friend. He comforted me while you were being an asshole. You were jealous about nothing. You were jealous, and in turn, you tried to get even for something that never even happened. I loved you, Zane. You should have come and talked to me instead of listening to rumors. You, above anyone else, should know that most rumors aren't even true.

"But the way you reacted? It was only too easy for you to go back to your old habits. It made me realize that you really are not ready for a baby... and neither am I," I tried to explain.

"So you really are giving our baby up for adoption then," he said. I shrugged and looked at my feet.

"I still don't know, Zane," I ansered in irritation.

"Well, do I get a say?" he asked. I shook my head.

"Of course not. I meant what I said in the music room earlier. You lost all right when it comes to me and the baby. I'm only talking to you right now out of courtesy; I didn't have to allow you to explain. You are incapable of changing Zane, and you're doomed to be your father. The only difference is that your dad is actually trying to change and apologize. You... You don't exist to my baby. That's a stress load I don't need right now," I said.