Evil Eye

--- Sam ---

I coarsely chopped the herbs in by bowl, then starts to grind them with a Mortar and Pestle, currently making some simple cut medication to treat infected cuts.

"Wouldn't a blender be easier?" James said from behind me, for about the billionth time.

He says it every day. Every. Single. Day.

I sighed and ignored him, like always.

Today he was extra enervated, so he kept going.

"I mean, it'd be a snap, versus hours of hard work for a single potion." He grinned.

I clenched my fists, grinding harder as my energy spiked, rattling small tableware around the shop.

He laughed. "I'm sorry, is this an annoying topic?" He asked, prodding me now.

He knew he couldn't hurt me physically, so he resorted to annoying me, constantly, something the chief viewed as 'not grounds for turning him into a pig'. Unfortunately.

He kept talking, and eventually I snapped, just like every day.

I slowly turned to him, my eyes smoldering from black to crystal clear blue, and glared at him as he paled. A faint Evil Eye appeared on his forehead, and he sprinted out before it became permanent, bumping into everything as he lost his sight.

I smirked, and went back to grinding. Then I poured the ground powder into a bottle, along with the penicillin.

Modern medicine had caught up with a lot of witch medicine, but there were ingredients that were good replacements, and easier to get than things like 'toads tongue'.

The real reason you used toads tongue was because of its high calcium content, mixed naturally with vitamins. That provided a nice base for just about any potion for someone's health.

The door opened, ringing the bell, and I heard Arthur's heavy feet. The 6'6" giant sat down at my counter, and sighed.

His deep voice vibrated my counter slightly, though it was only noticeable to someone with witch senses. He was a bear shifter, the leader of my clan.

"You gave James an Evil Eye?"

"It'll fade in about an hour." I waved his concern for his little brother off.

"Hmm... Good. There's a clan coming, to... Well, to see you, mostly. They're moving close by, not even a mile away, and seeing as you're on the border of their territory..."

"They want to check out the witch to make sure I don't eat babies and kill puppies. I know. I'm used to it. I am a black witch, Arthur. I'm used to people hating me."

"Why don't you stop-"

"You're born a black witch. You don't choose to kill kittens. You know that. And Black Magic is more powerful, allowing my potions to heal more people, and heal more severe injuries." I sighed.

"You don't really kill kittens, right?" He asked.

"No, numbskull, it's an expression. Kittens aren't very good for potions. Jungle Lynxs, fully grown, are a little better... But I prefer raccoons or badgers. Very meaty, lots of protein and usually very well fed-"

"Okay, I don't need to know, I don't want to. Just... Ew." He shuddered.

"Wimp." I snickered lightly.

"Anyway, so just be prepared."

"If they touch anything, I'll kill them. Warn them now." I said softly.