Prologue

There are only a few minutes left before our virtual mock battle begins. Both me and my twin brother, Yuuto are already done with our preparation. This virtual mock battle is important to us. If we don't win, we won't be qualified to become Public Security Intelligence Agency agents. It's known as PSIA for short. We've been training for two years for this day to come. I was trained to become a martial art expert while Yuuto was trained to become a sniper.

In this virtual mock battle, we're going to face Chiaki Squad and Masayoshi Squad. They're the second and the third rank squad in PSIA Special Activities Division. If we're able to beat them, it means that we're worthy enough to become an agent for the top rank squad, Kimizuki Squad. Dad is the leader of this squad. Besides him, dad's colleague and also his friend, Mr. Azuma Sakakibara is in the same squad as well. He has been helping us when dad wasn't around.

I have never known that dad and Mr. Sakakibara are operations officers from PSIA. We only knew about it when we were 13. At that time, a group of people was trying to capture us for the government's top-secret project. It's known as Transhuman Development Project. Not only that, but we were also surprised to find out that mom was one of the key researchers in this top secret project. Mom resigned from this project because she refused to let us become the test subject for this project.

Whenever I hear about this project, I can't help but feel anxious about it. Mom died because the people who pursued us killed her. And they also almost killed dad. Even though dad managed to escape death, it was still a terrifying experience for both of us. We didn't know much about the project other than the project was using gifted children as a test subject. And in our case, they considered us to be the outlier among the children.

Based on what Mr. Sakakibara had told us, these children would have a microchip implant in their body. The microchip implant would be able to increase their intelligence, awareness, strength, and durability. As a result, it would create a transhuman that will help to extend the life of the aging population. Surgery wasn't necessary as they only needed to inject the microchip implant on their neck. And it would travel all the way to the brain stem.

We were lucky at that time that dad taught us the spy techniques. Not only we were able to shake off the pursuers, but we were able to kill them as well. I admit that it was a nerve wrecking when we killed people for the first time. But we were aware of the consequences of our action. We already expected that the police would convict us, but they couldn't. It was because this incident was under PSIA's jurisdiction.

With our ability to kill the pursuers who were a skilled assassin, dad wanted us to work with him. Even though he's the head of Special Activities Division in PSIA, he still needs to seek approval from PSIA director, Yashiro Kagami. We're lucky that he already knew about our ability. And he also thinks that we have the potential to become a PSIA agent even though we're just a middle schooler.

But then again, PSIA never hires agents who are underage. And even with dad endorsing our abilities, it's still not enough to convince him. Because of this, he thinks that letting us participating in the virtual mock battle is the best way to test us. Both Yuuto and I agree to take part in the virtual mock battle if it helps to convince him.

The rule of the game is simple. The only thing we need to do is to be the only people left in the virtual mock battle. But Yuuto and I are the only one who will be taking part in this battle. Dad and Mr. Sakakibara are not allowed to take part. And they can't even tell us what to do. The only person who will help us is Ms. Chiyo Shibasaki. She's the operator for dad's squad.

The virtual mock battle begins when all agents transported to a random place in the virtual world. As the transportation process for all agents is complete, I start to take a look at my surrounding. I realize that I'm at the rooftop of one of the buildings in Shibuya. The virtual mock battle takes place in Shibuya during the night time. Even in the virtual world, the area is still bustling with people.