Chapter Three - Some People Have No Shame

~~~~

Dedicated to 1olMichelle for the amazing banner to the side! I love it; thanks so much, lovely!

~~~~

~Chapter Three - Some People Have No Shame~

******RAINE’S POV****** 

I followed the security guard—whose name turned out to be Steve Southers—down the main strip of shop and towards the movie theater and food court.

It was strange being here and seeing it so deserted. Every shop had been left open in their haste to leave the building, and now clothes and shoes and movies and handbags were on display for the rest of inhabitants—or lack thereof—to see.

 We entered the food court, and I stared at the abandoned fast food restaurants. On one particular restaurant was an abandoned cup of soda that someone had been in the middle of making when the alarm must’ve been pulled. It was now splashed against the white counter, contrasting darkly with the white marble, effervescent bubbles still sparkling in the dim lighting and late afternoon sun streaking through the glass ceiling.

Just then I saw two people appear from the bathroom alley, one girl giggling and swinging dizzily in her six-inch heels, her miniskirt riding dangerously high.

One was a boy that I immediately recognized from school—River Peterson. He was the clichéd, notorious bad-boy player that was infamously known through my high school for breaking girls’ hearts. He was cute, with piercing blue eyes and tousled dark hair, but he wasn’t my type. I didn’t fall for arrogant jerks that had been with half of the female population in our senior year. Seriously. He went between girls faster than he changed underwear.

The other was the head cheerleader, Jessica Sloan, a girl whose hair was too blonde, her nails too acrylic and her skirts way too short. She had your signature athletic legs, non-existent waist and bright blue eyes. Her lips were bright pink, and she walked with a swagger only Queen Bee’s possessed. She was the girl that you couldn't help but be jealous of. She had amazing curves, but she was slim and petite. She had style, money, class and a boy on each arm. She didn't have to concern herself with what she was going to do on a Saturday night, because she had a planner larger than that of a corporate tycoon. You know the type. We all do.

Both of their hair was severely tousled, strands sticking up everywhere. River’s lips were smudged with her dark red gloss, and their shirts were askew. It was pretty obvious what they had just finished doing - and why they hadn't heard the alarms in the throes of their passion.

 In a mall bathroom? Are you freaking kidding me?

Some people had no shame.

Both of them looked around, and River blinked at his surroundings, noting the abandoned stores and lack of people walking around.

“River?” the girl asked, swaying in her six-inch peep-toe stilettos, her voice an annoying nasally sound that resembled nails on a chalkboard. “Where is everyone?”

“I don’t know, babe,” River replied, frowning. His dark, perfectly sculpted eyebrows pulled together. Even frowning in an unattractive way he managed to look abominably cute. No wonder he had so many girls after him.

 Once again Steve called out and explained the story to them that he had to me, and River took this in slowly, nodding, before he muttered a colorful curse that I didn't hear very often, and shook his head.

Jessica just looked up at him. “Lockdown? Fire evacuation? You mean we’re stuck in here?”

River tightened his grip on Jessica, his knuckles turning a milky white. “Apparently so," he replied grimly, a scowl on his handsome face.