Chapter Twenty - Nothing Is Ever As It Seems

~~~~

Dedicated to 1olMichelle for the amazing banner to the side! I love it :D

~~~~

Chapter Twenty - Nothing Is Ever As It Seems~

******KILLER’S POV******

   My footsteps made no noise as they struck marble tile. My leather-clad hands clenched easily at my sides as energy and excitement zinged through my veins. My insides burned for the kill, and the excitement was overwhelming.

   Up ahead, the blond, feminine boy walked, his long strides wary, as the boy bowed his head, lost in thought.

   With high cheekbones, long, feminine eyelashes, and a sculpted jaw, he was a pretty boy. Not handsome, but pretty. If he were a girl, she would be quite stunning.

   He wore a bright neon t-shirt, his personality vibrant and bountiful, though my killings had zapped most of his energy, and now he seemed tense and bitter, twitching at the slightest noise and at the height of paranoia. I had completely dampened his spark.

   Oh, the things I could do to people….

   I quickened my strides, my legs carrying me towards the frail boy. He had no muscle, but also no fat. He was straight up and down, his bones feather-light in weight. He was lanky, with long legs and arms, but my hand could easily wrap around them without any trouble. He was like a stick in that sense.

   As I approached, I dragged my feet along the ground, announcing my entrance. I was always one for theatricality and dramatic entrances.

   Brad slowly turned around, his body rigid as he swallowed thickly. His hazel eyes cast around until he spotted me, a figure of black against the bright shoe storefront, contrasting darkly with the brightness of the store.

   He tensed up, and the breath left him, before he spotted me. His face smoothed over, his young, boyish features wiping clean. For a twenty year old, he did look a lot younger. “Oh, it’s you,” he said, clearly relieved.

   I smiled and headed towards him, gaining the boy’s trust and playing the innocent figure. “Hey, Brad,” I said, falling into step beside him and stuffing my hands into my hoodie pockets. “What are you doing out here alone?”

   He shrugged. “Everyone’s arguing and getting stressed. I needed space from the yelling, you know? Just a break. You?”

   I nodded with a sigh. “Same.”

   He eyed my outfit, and the thick jacket over the top of my usual clothes. “Hey, you changed. Isn’t that a camouflage jacket?”

   I nodded and shrugged. “Yeah, it was the first thing I could find. I got cold.”

   “It is kinda freezing out here,” he acknowledged. “But, hey, let’s hope that’s not the jacket the killer was wearing.” He laughed.

   “Yeah,” I said, laughing at his obvious stupidity and naivety. “Then it’d be a killer jacket.”

   He laughed hard at that, and I gave him a wide smile. Who knew I actually had some humor in me. And here I thought I was just dark and morbid.

   “So, who do you think the killer is?” I asked, stepping lightly beside him.

   He shrugged. “I don’t know. Maybe an old friend of that Malcolm Stark guy. A psycho who admired the crime. Just someone lurking in the shadows, unseen and unheard.”