Chapter Nine - Meet Raine Miller, Cause Of All Arguments

~Chapter Nine - Meet Raine Miller, Cause Of All Arguments~

******RAINE’S POV******

As the time ticked by, I found myself absent-mindedly tapping on the table and staring off into space, ignoring everyone else and in my own zone.

I looked around to find Jessica and River talking, and I hoped that he was apologizing to her. Sure, she was just some cheerleader who would never have paid me a second glance—and never did—at school, but she had good intentions… I hoped.

Jason was dozing off to sleep in his chair, but I stayed wide-awake and alert. Not only because I was playing sentry, but also because I wouldn’t have been able to fall asleep even if I wanted to. I’d be too afraid of murderers and dying and morbid things like that.

My stomach grumbled, and I looked down at it with a frown. We hadn’t eaten yet since Brad and Jason had been attacked, and I hadn’t eaten since lunchtime. It had been nine and a half hours, and the hunger was really setting in.

My vision clouded blackly and my head spun, but I blinked the blackness out of my eyes and pushed my hair behind my ears. My stomach lurched and I leant forward with a groan, rubbing my temples and leaning my elbows on my thighs. I let out a frustrated sigh.

Just then somebody sat across from me, and I raised my eyes to meet River’s bright blue ones. He pushed something towards me across the table, and I looked down to see a bottle of orange juice and a bag of salt-and-vinegar potato chips, and I blinked a couple of times to make sure it was still there and not just a mirage of hallucination. I’d heard when people went into high levels of some emotions; their minds can hallucinate and envision something that would make the situation better, like a dream. Either that or I really was in a dream. If so, life was even crueler than I first thought.

I looked up at River. “I… Thank you.”

He gave me a smile. “Donovan and I went back and grabbed some food. You looked like you needed it.”

I opened the bag of potato chips and welcomed the familiar tangy scent that assaulted my nostrils. I popped the plastic cap and took a long sip of the sweet liquid, before grabbing a couple of potato chips and shoving them into my mouth. I must’ve looked so unattractive, and I looked up to see River watching me intently.

I threw him a tight-lipped smile, feeling my cheeks turn scarlet. “Sorry. I’m really hungry.”

He put up his hands in a surrendering gesture. “No problem. I appreciate a girl who can freely eat like a buffalo in front of me with no worries. I gave Jess a bag and she asked if she could have a salad instead.” He rolled his eyes adorably, and I giggled.

I never giggled. Like, ever. This was a completely new sensation for me.

What the hell was wrong with me?

“What time is it?” he asked. “I forgot my phone today.”