Chapter Ten - Hide And Seek, Y'all

~Chapter Ten - Hide And Seek, Y'all~

******KILLER’S POV******

I stayed shrouded in the shadows, crouched down and staring into the entrance of the locker room at Mapleton Fitness Center.

The mall cop, Steve, had his back to me, reading a newspaper casually. How he could be casual with me sneaking around I had no idea, but he seemed perfectly at ease as he skimmed the black-and-white pages of the large folded newspaper that advertised the news from the day before. I had no doubt in a couple of days time this would be what plagued the papers.

There were navy-blue lockers surrounding him, and he sat on one of a series of wooden benches planted in the middle. There were a few white towels thrown around, probably in people’s hastes to get out of the mall when I pulled the alarm. It was the locker-room attached to the bathroom, where people washed and changed after a rigorous workout at the gym.

In the distance, I could hear the shower running, and steam permeated the inside of the locker, making it increasingly difficult to see through the mist. Steve did not seem to mind, however.

I could hear Jessica’s tones as she sung some mindless pop song, and resisted the urge to roll my eyes. I’d be doing the world some good in getting that high-pitched voice off of the street. It was like nails down a chalkboard, and made me want to cringe.

I crept through the door and silently moved until I was behind Steve, who was still unsuspecting to me there. He licked the top of his index finger and turned the page onto a story about a man who had just been found dead. Ha, how ironic.

I moved up a little and exhaled, my breath swirling the mist around, and my cool breath coating the back of the man’s neck, making hairs prickle at the nape.

Slowly he turned around, and his lips parted in surprise as he saw me there.

I smiled maliciously at him, feeling tingles run up my spine as I anticipated the fun I would have with him.

“Oh, hi there, Steve,” I said casually, my breath ringing through the locker room. Jessica never heard me, and continued singing. “Fancy meeting you here.”

I lifted up the glimmering metallic knife, and he swallowed thickly, his mouth opening up as he moved his lips to shape a word.

I silenced him before he ever got the chance, and with a smile pounced on him and attacked.

******RAINE’S POV******