Chapter Seven - Barbie Has A Personality. I Thought They Were Sold Separately

Chapter Seven - Barbie Has  A Personality. I Thought They Were Sold Separately 

“That is the dumbest plan I’ve ever heard,” River informed me, shaking his head vigorously and making his hair bounce everywhere in unruly curls.

            I turned to him with a vicious glare. I was tired, my hip ached, I was stressed and cranky, and I had PMS. Now was not a good time for River to mess with me. Don’t anger a sleeping dragon, as the saying went. My patience was wearing thin, and River was definitely not helping.

            “Oh, and I suppose you have better ideas, do you, River?” I snapped coldly, also crossing my arms over my chest defensively as his were.

            “There’s a killer on the loose somewhere inside the mall and you want to go for a walk?” River asked, sneering slightly as he said it, his lips pulling up.

            “Yes,” I replied slowly and patronizingly, with the express purpose of driving him insane. “We need to go to the drugstore and get some painkillers and bandages. We can’t let Brad and Jason stay like this. Brad’s gonna bleed out and Jason’s gonna pass out from pain, and we need as many people as we can. This is the only option we have.”

            “I think it’s stupid,” River informed me.

            I slapped my hand down on the table and kicked back the chair with a squeal, standing up. Volts of pain ran up my arm from the velocity of the slap, and my hand tingled, but I stayed strong. “You know what, River? I’m getting real sick of you playing Mr. High-And-Mighty here. How about you let someone else take the shots, since so far all you’ve managed to do with your plans is get us all killed and injured.”

            He stepped forward angrily until we were almost toe-to-toe, facing down each other. His blue eyes flashed, and he leant down. “You think you can do better?”

            “I wouldn’t have to try that hard,” I told him viciously. “Since so far you’ve done absolutely nothing at all to help us.”

            His hands clenched. “Fine. You know what, Rai? Fine. Do it your way. But it’s on your head if you get us all killed.”

            Rai. I was temporarily distracted by the use of the unfamiliar nickname. I’d never really had a nickname before. How could you shorten Raine? But something about the way he said my name was pretty and elegant, even in that fierce tone he was using.

            My next thought was the gushing pride I felt at winning an argument against River. It wasn’t exactly easy to win anything against River, and the fact he was letting me take the reins—excuse the pun—made me feel good. He was pretty stubborn, but so was I, and I was so glad that finally I had beat him at something. It was short-lived, though, as I remembered the situation we were in.

            I turned around. “I’m going to the drugstore to get supplies. Who’s coming with me?”