chapter 13 | if happiness was a drink it would be coffee

Remarkably, we're only a few minutes late to class. I stifle a yawn as we walk into the room, predicting that this is going to be a long, grumpy, sleep deprived day.

"We would have made it exactly on time if someone hadn't made us stop for coffee," Cole directs his comment to me.

"You offered," I return, sipping my coffee with a blissful look on my face.

He shrugs, apparently unable to come up with a suitable comeback. I smile, satisfied.

"Cole, Ashley, how nice of you to finally join us," Miss Greene greets as we walk into the classroom late. I smile at her sheepishly while Cole rifles through the folders in his bag looking for our Romeo and Juliet paper.

"Ash," He says suddenly, his eyes wide, "I forgot it at your house."

My eyes widen as well and I punch him in the shoulder, "How could you forget it! We stayed up all night to get that done so we could turn it in today and--"

"Sike," he smirks, pulling the paper out of the bag and waving it in front of my face.

I glare at him, "I hate you."

"Feeling's mutual, sweetheart," he winks at me and hands Miss Greene the paper. She thanks him and gestures for us to sit down. He slides into the seat next to me but I continue with my mock anger.

"Ashley." Cole whispers, attempting to get my attention. I ignore him. "Ashley," he whispers--louder this time. "Sunshine!"

I roll my eyes and turn around, trying to keep from smiling, "what?" He crosses his eyes and sticks out his tongue at me, clearly trying to make me laugh.

"Stop!" I yell at him, attempting to keep my face stoic. I stay strong...for about five seconds. Then my laughs turn into unfortunate hiccups and I glare it him again.

"You-hic-did-hic-this-hic-to-hic-me." He laughs, amused by my embarrassing hiccups. I cross my arms and look away, taking a long drink of water in hopes of stopping them.

For a moment I think I've succeeded. Then I hiccup again, louder than before, drawing the attention of everyone around me. I feel my face turn tomato red.

"You're cute when you're embarrassed," Cole whispers from behind me. I didn't think it was possible, but my face turns even more red.

Eventually the class is over and I bump into Shelby on my way out. She links our arms together, smiling at me.

Cole walks past us, saying a quick hello to Shelby and mock saluting me as he says, "Sunshine."

Shelby looks surprised, nudging me with her elbow as she tries to hide the jealously in her eyes, "Since when are you and Cole buddy-buddy?" Suddenly I remember what she said. She likes him. I have a very bad feeling that continuing friendships with both of them will force me to choose a side--something I would rather avoid.

I shrug, feigning nonchalance, "We just talk occasionally, that's all."

"Last I knew, he was ignoring you, why the sudden chance?" She doesn't truly sound angry, mostly just confused. A hint of jealousy appears in her eyes. She's not angry, but at the same time she doesn't seem thrilled about my newfound relationship with Cole. I want to tread carefully on the issue of Cole. Shelby's jealous can easily increase exponentially over the smallest thing. It lead to the deterioration of our friendship the first time, I'm not eager for it to happen a second time.