Chapter 40 | a dog would have been able to tell you were flirting

First and second period pass without incident. I frown as I realize that Caroline wasn't in either of my classes like she usually was. I feel a sense of foreboding, wondering if something has gone wrong in my two day absence. Surely something drastic hasn't happened...right? Bullying hasn't kicked up a few notches, has it?

Then she walks into second period and I breathe a sigh of relief. However, my relief doesn't last long. A jock in the front of the class gives a casual stretch, sticking his leg out to trip her. I narrow my eyes, knowing better than to think that was an accident. Sure enough, the jock turns around and smirks. It's Derek--Shelby's somewhat more silent counterpart. I have to give Shelby some credit, the three of them form a pretty intimidating group. Shelby goes for the verbal assaults, Derek and Asher throw the punches.

Caroline stumbles over his leg but keeps quiet as she slides into the seat next to me. When I whisper a 'hey' she only responds with a tentative smile. I frown, but don't press the issue. That is, I don't push the issue until I see her wince and prod at her side as if there's a bruise there. I know that feeling far too well.

As soon as the bell rings, I turn toward her, keeping my tone deliberately casual, "How are you? Anything interesting happen in the last few days?"

Caroline shakes her head emphatically, "same old, same old."

"Really? Nothing?" I raise an eyebrow, trying to prompt a response. Oh, I sound like my mother when she pressed me for information. Oh well. I shrug, still waiting expectantly for a response. Unfortunately, she's more like me than I assumed and she shakes her head stubbornly.

"Not a thing."

I sigh in resignation, "Okay, don't tell me if the bullying has gotten worse. That's fine."

"What will happen if I tell you?" She asks, the slightest bit of animosity creeping into her tone, "You can't do anything about it. Neither can I! I tried to stand up to them and it got worse."

I feel a stab of guilt at her words. Standing up to Shelby and her jerky jocks was my idea. I thought it was good advice. Apparently it wasn't.

"I'm sorry...I just didn't want you to let them beat you up like I did. I was trying to help..."

"Well you didn't." I must look hurt at her words, because her tone softens as she speaks again, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't be taking this out on you...I just didn't want this to turn into my old school and it's starting to."

I nod, wanting so badly to eliminate this social hierarchy that exists in high school. It's infuriating, really, that in the time of society's constant platitudes to be yourself, being yourself is still frowned upon. I'm not charismatic, so I get constantly overlooked. I don't have gorgeous blonde hair, so the boys aren't clamoring for my attention. The same has happened with Caroline, from what she's told me. She's shy and unwilling to trust easily, so making friends has never been her strong suit. Like me, people don't go out of their way to become friends with her.

"I'm sorry," I repeat, not knowing how else to respond, "It's my fault that they're picking on you. You stood up for me.."

She raises a shoulder, "they would have done it anyway. That's just who I am: the girl that's always the victim of some bully."

"Caroline..."

We walk out of the classroom and an arm wraps around my waist, bringing my words to a halt. "Hey sunshine," Cole says, smiling down at me.