4.4

PART FOUR CHAPTER FOUR

LONDON 2015

    A CHOIR SANG, ECHOING DELICATELY AND BEAUTIFULLY THROUGHOUT THE CATHEDRAL. "And now, I would like to invite Sharon Carter, to come up and say a few words." Victoria sat next to Steve on the front pew. She didn't believe she had the right to sit among the friends and family of a legend, of her father's best friend, of her near-boyfriends ex near-girlfriend. But she sat, dressed respectfully in black, with a hand on Steve's thigh- an attempt to provide comfort in this time of mourning and sorrow. She watched as the familiar face of a blonde haired woman ascended the pulpit on the right.

    Victoria smiled sadly, almost guiltily that she was there, as Sharon's gaze made its way to Steve and her. Sharon felt somewhat bitter, seeing her there. But Steve needed the support. Sam, sat on the other side of Steve, nudged his friend and nodded his attention to the woman, also known as Agent Thirteen. To say Steve was confused was an understatement.

    "Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of SHIELD. But I just knew her as Aunt Peggy. She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But, it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related." Victoria noted as Steve nodded, as if that was a personal message to him. "I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage at a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. And she said, compromise when you can. When you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move. It is your duty, to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye and say, "No... you move. ""

    After the place had cleared out, Victoria stood at the display, looking over all of the photos. Steve stood at the end of the pews, watching her. She smiled at the ones that contained Steve, but the smile soon dropped when she saw a few with a man that looked oddly familiar. Victoria picked up a photo frame that contained a man, Peggy, and a young Tony Stark grabbing Peggy's cheeks as she laughed, her hands holding Tony's dainty and chubby arms. The man, she realised, was Howard Stark. Her father. This scenario wouldn't have been a one off either. There were more of Peggy and Howard, one standing out the most. A woman in a hospital bed, Howard and Tony one side of her, and Peggy sat beside her. In her arms was a baby. The baby, she figured, was her. Nearly unrecognisable without the marks Hydra imprinted on her.

    "When I came out of the ice, thought everyone I'd known was gone. When I found out she was alive, I was just lucky to have her." Victoria placed the picture down and turned around as Steve spoke. Natasha had joined him at the end of the aisle and was smiling sadly.

    "She had you back, too." The red head said.

    "Who else signed?" Victoria joined the two, standing in the middle, not wanting to touch Steve out of a deeper respect for Peggy, now she knew Peggy had known her. Maybe she had been there consoling Howard and Maria after her abduction. She'd never find out.

    "Tony, Rhodey, Vision." Natasha listed softly.

    "Clint?" Victoria asked.

    "Says he's retired." Victoria smiled. At least he could get away with retirement. Victoria would have to drop off the earth to get away from what she had done.

    "Wanda?" Steve asked.

    "TBD." He looked down, looking like he was in pain. He was mourning, Victoria had to remember, and this wasn't helping.

    "I'm off to Vienna for the signing of the Accords. There is plenty of room on the jet." Steve sighed sadly. Natasha continued, "Just because it's the path of least resistance does mean it's the wrong path. Staying together is more important than how we stay together."