Chapter 1: Demon Survivor

This is the first book of my Avenger series, which is currently on hiatus.

This story was created even before the announcement of the Kakashi ANBU Chapters; therefore, this is a Parallel Universe fanfiction (yes, PARALLEL, because I try to follow the Canon story line as much as possible). The same goes for the rest of the Avenger series, also.

I do not own any of the Naruto characters or settings. I only own my OC, Akuma Izoku.

This is my first fanfiction ever, so please excuse all the clichés and such. Thanks!

WARNING: CONTAINS VIVID CONTENTS OF BLOOD, AND VIOLENCE. I hope you enjoy the story of Izoku, the Avenger of the Akuma Clan of the Village Hidden in the Shadows!

~~~*~~~

Laughs and giggles rang from the Academy of the Shadows. In the furthest room to the right on the second floor, a class of twenty students ranging from the ages of five to seven laughed and played. A girl the age of five dressed in a dark baggy kimono top and matching pants was kneeling on the ground, playing with wooden blocks with another girl a year older than her. The dark-kimono girl tossed her long raven hair to the side as she grabbed two blocks and stacked them on top of each other, her violet eyes shimmering.

"Joi!" she giggled to her friend as she stacked the blocks. "Doesn't it kind of look like the Academy building?"

"No," Joi shook her head, pouting her full pink lips. "It looks more like the Kuraikage's building! See, Izoku?" Joi pointed to the stack of blocks. "The pointy tip looks more like the Kuraikage's building than the Academy!"

"You're right." Izoku cocked her head to the side, curious. "The Academy needs to be rounder!"

Joi nodded her head, digging into the tub of wooden blocks to look for the perfect roof for the Academy. The two girls laughed as they built their Village Hidden in the Shadows. Their sensei stood at the front of the classroom, watching over the kids like a loving parent as they played.

Suddenly, the paper screen door burst open, flying off of its thin metal hinges as dust and smoke crept into the classroom. The kids screamed as they took cover under their desks and on the floor, curled up in tight balls.

"Yoroshi-sensei!" the kids called out to their teacher as they realized she was gone. Izoku and Joi huddled in the corner, their block city tumbled over and scattered all over the floor. Fear embedded itself in Joi's shimmering blue eyes. Izoku hugged her friend tightly, her tear-soaked face buried in her blond hair. Yoroshi emerged from the smoke, two kunai knives in hand. She was about to throw the blades in midair, but was stunned by the sight before her. She landed on the ground, her bronze eyes wide.

"Shadow ANBU...?" she gasped, tucking away her kunai. "Why are you here?"

"Akuma Izoku," a panther-masked man rumbled in his deep voice.

Izoku's ears pricked up from hearing her name.

"Y-yes...?" she mewed from the corner. The ANBU shinobi's gaze flashed to hers, making her flinch. The two ninja thrust their shuriken towards the five year old girl, her friend next to her shrieking in alarm.

"Izoku-!"

The clang of metal rang through the silent room. Yoroshi crouched above the two girls, her kunai revealed once more as her eyes glared at the two shinobi.

"What is the meaning of this?" she snarled.

"This girl must be removed," the frog-masked ANBU growled. "From the orders of the Lady Kuraikage."